question 50AMP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
question 50AMP

Hey guys,I haven't been camping in 30 years,now that I have just invested in a new camper,I have a few questions,the camp sites that list 50AMP hook ups what do I have to do to make my 30AMP system work on this? Also I don't have a fresh water holding tank,so when I hook up to county/campsite water will it automaticly fill the water heater tank? also,I read that you should not take your LP gas tanks off your camper to fill them take the camper to the refill station,is this true? Sorry to be such a noob with this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Buc,
Congrats on the new camper.
The 50 amp service is for the campers with 2 air conditioners. Your 30 amp will plug in and be fine. The water heater will fill automatically if you have the bypass lever turned the right way to allow it to fill. The LP tanks will have to come off. Most campgrounds don't have alot of room around their fill tank. It's no big deal to disconnect them. Especially if they're 20 pound tanks.
Hope it helps and have fun camping.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:18 PM

^^ What he said
Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 PM

Buc,
Also, remember to make sure your wheels are chocked and the beer is cold! I bought a set of wheel chocks that fit between the tires and pull together locking the wheels. I've seen a few campers roll and one rolled so much it fell and dragged a few feet before it stopped. Just glad it wasn't on a hill.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:40 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucwheat View Post
Hey guys,I haven't been camping in 30 years,now that I have just invested in a new camper,I have a few questions,the camp sites that list 50AMP hook ups what do I have to do to make my 30AMP system work on this? Also I don't have a fresh water holding tank,so when I hook up to county/campsite water will it automaticly fill the water heater tank? also,I read that you should not take your LP gas tanks off your camper to fill them take the camper to the refill station,is this true? Sorry to be such a noob with this stuff.
Walmart sells a 50 amp plug that converts to a 30 amp plug.
IT is 50 amp to 30 amp
50amp male Plugs in 50 amp box campsite
30 amp female takes your campers plug
Your 30 amp plug off the camper will plug into this convert a plug .
Don't try and plug your 30 amp service into a 50 amp camp outlet you will cook your convertor electric box, prob blow fuses and kick a lot of breakers.
Wouldn't hurt to go talk to a local dealer and get some answers maybe they can show ya at the same time.
JER-1

JER-1
Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 PM

Jer-1 good advice. I forgot about the converter. The sites I've been in usually have the 50 amp and 30 amp plugs in the power box. I run a 30 amp for now, so I don't really pay that much attention. Glad you did
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 AM

Many do have both 30 and 50 amp outlets, but get an adapter just in case. $6 well spent.

Mark
Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 AM

Thanks so much for the help guys,great advice.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 AM

I picked up an adapter yesterday at Wallmart for 7 bucks.I do have another question,where is the Bypass lever in the water heater that shinney was talking about is it located in the access panel outside?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Each camper is different. Mine is inside under an access panel. It should be within 6" of the water heater. It's a valve on the hose between the hot and cold water lines running into the heater. The valve is a quarter turn valve that will look like it doesn't belong. You should have a valve on the hot and cold water lines at the heater. The bypass may be between those valves. The bypass valve should be closed when you winterize your camper. When you pull antifreeze through the lines, it bypasses the water heater so you don't fill it up. There is no need to fill the water heater, just empty it.

I would take a picture for you but I keep my camper at a storage lot and won't have it home until Thursday. If you can't find yours by then I'll post the pics Thursday night.

Hope it helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.