New to towing got some questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to towing got some questions (pics added)

So I've towed a boat or two but never with my own truck. This weekend I'll be towing a 22ft TT. The dry weight is listed at 4K lbs. My truck has a Ranch Hand bumper listed for 5K. Is this going to be an issue? And does anyone have any tips, tow/haul botton, brake booster? Thanks, Mike

Last edited by charlie101; 06-01-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Chapter Director

not sure on issue with towing with that bumper but i feel that if you got any more than maybe 1500 to 2000 than you should use tow/haul
Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the tow/haul mode will help if your going though a hilly area, as it will allow the truck to down shift faster on uphill sections as well as use the engine to help slow the truck on down hill sections. That being said if your just pulling down a flat highway keep it out of tow haul mode unless it keeps shifting out of overdrive, you dont want it to be shifting in and out all the time. If it stays in overdrive you get far better mileage.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

First - Unless you are actually going to tow it 'dry', I wouldn't go by that weight. If there is food, clothing, propane, water.....blah, blah....it isn't dry.

Next - Not familiar with the Ranch Hand bumpers so pardon my questions. Does it have a ball that bolts to the bumper itself or does it have an opening allowing access to a receiver style hitch? If the ball bolts to the bumper, you may also want to see what the bumper is rated for as far as the weight that will be on the ball. (what will the bumper hold?) The 5K rating is what it is rated to pull, but you have to consider the tongue weight on the ball. If you have an opening for a receiver hitch, as long as that receiver bar and ball are rated for that weight, that would be the way to go.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

This is from the website.

Ranch Hand Back Bumpers are designed to provide you a stable platform while providing maximum protection and towing capacity. Our Cowboy and Dually back bumpers are V-5 tested to 1000 lbs tongue weight and 10,000 lbs towing capacity or 500 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lbs towing capacity. Ranch Hand Back Bumpers are finished with the highest quality super polyester black pearl powder coating available today for superior corrosion resistance or available with an optional Hammertone finish. It is designed to accept a bolt on receiver tube although adding it to any Ranch Hand bumper will reduce the tongue weight to 500 lbs.

Mine looks just like this but the receiver is bolted to the bottom side. Products
Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Check out this article:
HowStuffWorks "How Tongue Weight Works"

In there it states that tongue weight is in the neighborhood of 9-15% of the GROSS weight. The trailer should have a plate, either on the left front of the trailer (Street side) and/or in one of the kitchen cabinets to say what the gross weight is.

This is just me, but I think you'd be pushing it. IF you actually are towing dry (only stuff in there came from the factory) and using the 4K weight, 9% of 4K is 360lbs, 15% is 600lbs. I know it's obvious, but if you add anything to the trailer, those weights go up. So...I guess at this point it's your call with the Ranch hand.

If you are going to be towing more in the future, you might want to look into a frame mounted receiver system.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
good advice.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

I was reading over Ford's "Towing Guide" and it looks like the stock hitch was rated for the same 5K/500 lbs. For those who tow 4-5K lbs trailer, are you using weight distributing hitches?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The stock reciever is rated for more if you use a weight distributing hitch. I personally never use a weight distributing hitch and have hauled 30k+ with the stock reciever.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie101 View Post
I was reading over Ford's "Towing Guide" and it looks like the stock hitch was rated for the same 5K/500 lbs. For those who tow 4-5K lbs trailer, are you using weight distributing hitches?
Is that "stock hitch" on the bumper or is it the receiver?

When I drove an F150, I pulled a 24' travel trailer (had a gross weight of 7000lbs - Probably towed it about 6000lbs) with the frame mounted receiver hitch. I used a weight distribution hitch. Worked well. It helps the truck and the trailer 'share' the load. If you are thinking of that, I would again suggest that the receiver be frame-mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.