anyone pull double trailers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
anyone pull double trailers?

Anyone ever pull a boat or other second trailer behind your 5th wheel camper? I know lots of people do it. My main question is for those who have done it, whats the max weight you have pulled behind the 5th on its bumper? I have a 17.5ft boat that weighs about 3k with all my stuff. I just want to know if thats too much weight to pull off the rear bumper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have never pulled a train but with my family in the campground business I have seen it plenty of times. I dont remember the exact regulations but i do know there is a set length allowed and i believe you need an endorsement on your license or just a cdl but I could be wrong. On the other hand i have seen plenty of crewcab longbox dualies towing 37 foot fifth wheels with 20 ft walleye boats behind those.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 PM

Here in MN they just changed the laws to allow up to 70' total combo length. You don't need any special endorsements for rv setups. I however do have my double/triples endorsement on my class A. So i am set if they ever wanted to give me a hard time.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy G
ya want tp put a class 2or3 hitch off the frame dont pul off the bumper
Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Ok, the only articles i could find where for the curt bumper mounted receiver hitch. So i will have to look for another class 3 hitch if i end up getting the 5er.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:49 PM

To answer your original question, I would NOT use that rear bumper on any
5'ther for anything other then a short 2 place bike rack if that! That back bumper is simply ment for storage for the dump tube and will not handle the braking of 3,000 lbs from your boat for sure, I have seen 2 boats that tried to enter the back of the 5ther because the bumber tore--the metal on mine I bet is not more then.040+/- thick. I modified a class 3 Reese style hitch off a 4x4 ranger truck and it fit the back of my trailer perfectly. Bolted to the bottom of the frame rails of the trailer, used the bottom of the dump tube "bumper" to triangleate the setup and it was all set to go. I think I had a wopping $50.00 into the whole setup.

In Michigan there is a requirement for a special endorcement to your license that you can take at any sec. of state.

Each State seems to be drastically different in the offerings so check into each state you will be driving into.

In Michigan your first trailer MUST be a 5th wheel NOT a goose neck (interesting) and the last trailer can be the convential ball type.

I had to laugh, over the weekend, I seen a RV pulling a Jeep Cherokee using a simple ball pull, pulling a bass boat being introduced to a State Police Officer----Obviously that rig was not legal on Michigan roads.

I do agree that my commercial drivers license for doubles allows me to pulls doubles on a daily basis.

Last edited by 2001pwrstroke; 04-20-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 PM

more food for thought here for the readers.....

here is the direct link for Michigan recreational double license as it's called in our state.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/re...le_21025_7.pdf

A special note that the original poster asked was about the hitch on his back bumper, in Michigan it's a requirement that the hitch is attached to your frame of your RV and not a bumper mount (which I do agree with)..

hope this helps...
Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have pulled an 18 foot snowmobile trailer with 4 4x4 atvs behind my 24.5 5th wheel and the second trailer definetly puts WAY more abuse on the ball hitch as said above, do not buy the bolt on reese, you will have a mess. I also made my setup. went to fleet farm, bought a blank 2 in reciever, the longer one they had. 18 in I believe, an ran two lengths of 2in tubing across the camper frame with the reciever plug centered forming an H.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi everybody. i am new to forum and i have a question about putting a motorcyclr lift on my 5 er. my bike is a harley road king and it wieghts approx 800 lbs. anybody got any ideas?
Old 05-26-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomie View Post
Hi everybody. i am new to forum and i have a question about putting a motorcyclr lift on my 5 er. my bike is a harley road king and it wieghts approx 800 lbs. anybody got any ideas?
Well.....you could but I don't think your thinking the whole process through from start to end. It would take one heck of a mount to support to take that kind of weight that far off the back of the 5th wheel back end bouncing down the road.....If you have seen anyone trying to load there heavy bike on one of those contraptions, it's amazing that the bike has not fallen off sideways and trapped the loading party--it's not safe looking! Then I had to laugh at the one I seen used, the guy had a 20k bike tied down with 2 $10 tie down straps from WalMart!...da@m Dummy.

Then all of a sudden IF the system you put on does work, you run into a huge rain shower for Ooooo about 2 hours, then pull into the now dry dusty camp ground entry road for another mile or two--now you have many HOURS of cleaning at a car wash....Not my idea of fun.

Simply put, this is the reason why you see why serious bikers trailer bikes in enclosed trailers, so when they get there--they are ready to ride not clean. Normally you can find a inexpensive enclosed trailer to pull behind for under a couple of grand brand new. I can't imagine even if you could find a undercarrage mount for a bike it would be any cheaper then $1,000 anyhow, so if your state or states you will be traveling threw will allow it, I would go with a second trailer without a doubt. Plus you have a significant amount of extra storage room on your travels--simply put, if you can use a second trailer.

JC

Last edited by 2001pwrstroke; 05-26-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.