California Emissions!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
California Emissions!!!!!

got this from duramaxforum

it was posted by DuraMark

I just called and spoke to the head of the BAR for the diesel emission standard for the state of California smog requirements. After a very lengthy conversation with him, I found that, only diesels pre-1997 are exempt.

ANY DIESEL VEHICLE WITH A WEIGHT RATING OF 14,000 lbs or less will have to be smogged. That's correct 14,000 lbs.

He stated that after they put their heads together they realized they could accomodate that weight rating for the inspections, ironically enough these are probably the same people who cant seem to fix the state's budget thats been in disarray for the last 8 months.

He stated the check will consist of a visual check to make sure all smog equipment is still on there, (including the cat) that there are no "illegal modifications" made (he wasn't able to define that statement when asked, and a visual test for smoke. That means that smog technician (Ali-baba) will start the vehicle and go stare at your tailpipe to determine whether he sees smoke. When I asked him, "if a dispute between the tech and the vehicle owner should arise, of whether there is visible smoke or not, what happens then?" He said thats a good question. I asked him what about people who run bio-diesel or oil. He stated that the legal department was looking into that right now and he couldnt answer because he didn't know if they were going to allow certain fuels or not.

All in all, he just spewed the same political jargon the politicains have been stating. He said there is a website that the state lists of California legal mod parts (exhausts, intakes, tuners, etc...) i will be going to it shortly.

One of the last things he said was that I was only the second diesel owner to have called him about this yet, and that everyone has been very quiet and complicit about the whole thing. I would love if every diesel owner in this state called his office and told him what they thought of their new laws and restrictions. They need to be hasselled and aggravated just as much as we will be in 2010. Please call him, I'll list his number below. thanks.

California Dielel Project Lead: Greg Coburn (916) 255-2979 .

California Website for legal mods: ARB.ca.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow this stinks for you guys. I'd call if I lived in Cali. I hope thier office gets bombarded by calls from diesel owners. Good luck
Old 12-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

yah im prob gonna call...

sucks because i dont think my truck ever came with a cat... i dont remember taking one off

so if this does go through im gonna have to buy a cat and muffler to put it on lol
Old 12-31-2008, 01:46 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Raul I would fight the livin chit out of that. If it wasnt required at the time of the truck build there is no F'ing way that the state should be able to make you install one.

But on the other hand that is commifornia for you
Old 12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
If i read it right, why not just registor as over 14gvw, thats what we do with our gas trucks that cant pass E-Check. sense diesels are exempt in ohio
Old 12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
If i read it right, why not just registor as over 14gvw, thats what we do with our gas trucks that cant pass E-Check. sense diesels are exempt in ohio
their is another law that is gonna be for the 14k guys lol....

and also that would make our truck commercial use.. which the DMV renewal fee is already expensive... mine is almost 600 bucks a year to renew...

oh did i mention their thinking about tripling our fees

so i would have to pay like 1800 a year to renew... what a joke
Old 12-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
Some states wont allow you to do that. For example WI is changing the law so that each truck has a specific weight range they can tag for.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:54 PM
I have excessive flatulance!!

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
yah im prob gonna call...

sucks because i dont think my truck ever came with a cat... i dont remember taking one off

so if this does go through im gonna have to buy a cat and muffler to put it on lol
I know mine didn't have one for sure cuz its a Louisiana truck and there are no emissions at all in that state.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

My 2001 didn't come with a cat.

I can see where this is going to be confusing. This link is to a CA DMV page. It references several weights and exemptions based on testing procedures. It talks about a 2010 date.
CA DMV hs44011.htm

I think they like to keep us confused.....
Old 12-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your truck didn't come with a cat because Ford was able to make it pass emissions without a cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.