Do Commercial Plates Equate to a Commercial Vehicle in California? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 05:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do Commercial Plates Equate to a Commercial Vehicle in California?

I received my registration renewal for my Ford F-250 pickup which is registered with commercial plates. Within it the following information was provided:

Per California’s driving under the influence (DUI) laws, it’s illegal to operate a motor vehicle with any of the following blood alcohol content (BAC) percentages:
•0.08% or higher―21 years old or older operating a regular passenger vehicle.
•0.04% or higher―operating a commercial vehicle.

I never drink and drive (well maybe 1 or 2 before a long holiday meal) but 0.04% equates to about 1 beer. I understand that some infractions also carry a heavier weight with commercial vehicles.

Can a LEO (or anyone else) out there tell me if driving a pickup with commercial plates, but one that only requires a Class C license, constitutes a commercial vehicle? I do not use the pickup commercially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolve View Post
I received my registration renewal for my Ford F-250 pickup which is registered with commercial plates.
Can a LEO (or anyone else) out there tell me if driving a pickup with commercial plates, but one that only requires a Class C license, constitutes a commercial vehicle? I do not use the pickup commercially.
Trucks are registered as commercial because they 'can be' and 'are' used to transport stuff for hire. Although your intentions may not be to use it commercially, the officials don't know that.

The only way around it is (I have done this with one of my trucks), to put a shell on the bed of the truck and register it as an 'auto'. Once it's registered as an 'auto', it may not be seen on the roadways without the shell. If you are caught, there is a fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolve View Post
Within it the following information was provided:

Per California’s driving under the influence (DUI) laws, it’s illegal to operate a motor vehicle with any of the following blood alcohol content (BAC) percentages:
•0.08% or higher―21 years old or older operating a regular passenger vehicle.
•0.04% or higher―operating a commercial vehicle.

I never drink and drive (well maybe 1 or 2 before a long holiday meal) but 0.04% equates to about 1 beer. I understand that some infractions also carry a heavier weight with commercial vehicles.
This part is referring to your Class of license. Since you have a regular Class C license, 0.08% is your reference.
0.04% applys to Class A and Class B licenses.
I hold a Class A, and, have previously held a Class B license.

I may have missed some info, but, there's a little bit for you. Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

I am looking at registering my truck as non commercial in the peoples republik of kalifornia this is what I have found thus far

Pickup Exclusions
The following trucks are not pickups:
Trucks with an open box-type bed that weigh more than 8,000 pounds unladen or exceed the manufacturer’s GVWR of 11,500 pounds. (“Varied” body type)
Trucks equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a “utility body.” (“utility” body type)
Trucks with a body type other than an open box bed (stake, flatbed, dump, etc. [body type]).
A pickup with a camper:
temporarily attached is a commercial vehicle and the camper is a load.
permanently attached meets the definition of a housecar (CVC §362) and may be registered as a passenger vehicle.

I have a shell and will be getting or building a carpet kit with bed so I will be registering as a camper.

not sure if this helps you at all. just thought this might help you or someone else
just incase
Old 12-23-2013, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

Subscribed if you have any luck please post information on how and what forms for this stupid state?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

this worked on my last truck BUT the local dmv fired ALL the decent humans and hired on ONLY nazi's who hate freedom
Old 12-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here is some helpful info for you.....

As far as the camper goes, Per my local DMV, is has to be "permently" mounted. As most of the people who work there are not gear heads usually the "C" clamps the shell comes with count and you will not have to drill holes through your bed. Depending on who checks you out a tonnuoe (sp) cover can count as it closes off access to the bed. For those of us that have the bed covered and will need to take off from time to time, the is a way slightly around the the law, more of a visual thing....

Standard issue commercial (aka pick-up) plates were 1 number, 1 letter, 5 numbers; the new ones one 5 numbers, 1 letter, 1 number.
Standard issue private (aka car or SUV) plates were (and I think still are) 1 number, 3 letters, 3 numbers.

If you change your registration from commercial to private you will get issued new plates showing the private numbering sequence and if you take your bed bed cover off, you are a dead give-a-way to any passing cop.

The way around this is to get customized plates. You will still be registered as a private vehicle and IF you get pulled over will have to do some explaining to avoid a large ticket BUT you will not be a quick easy view for cops driving around or behind you at a stop sign.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-rot View Post
As most of the people who work there are not gear heads usually the "C" clamps the shell comes with count and you will not have to drill holes through your bed.
That's how mine is set-up. Been registered as private for several years and no hassles from cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-rot View Post
Standard issue commercial (aka pick-up) plates were 1 number, 1 letter, 5 numbers; the new ones one 5 numbers, 1 letter, 1 number.
Standard issue private (aka car or SUV) plates were (and I think still are) 1 number, 3 letters, 3 numbers.

If you change your registration from commercial to private you will get issued new plates showing the private numbering sequence and if you take your bed bed cover off, you are a dead give-a-way to any passing cop.
x2
Old 12-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r***r View Post
That's how mine is set-up. Been registered as private for several years and no hassles from cops.

x2
one of the morons at our local dmv said they thought you had to have a water system in the camper to make it a camper now. they are usually wrong so? IF i have to I will put an rv sink in the carpet kit and a cooler gravity feed or something.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would talk to someone else about the water thing. You're not trying to make it an rv just a "private" vehicle which means you can't use the bed for what ever you want.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree with P-rot. I'd find someone else in that DMV. There's gotta be someone there with the knowledge to help you (Supv. or Manager). If not I'd schedule an appointment at a different DMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
commercial plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.