What to take with you to your first SMOG check - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 05:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SMOG Check: What to take with you to your first California SMOG exam.

I was surprised to be notified by Arnold Schwarzenneger that my 2000 F250 PSD was on his stealing from the little man list.

With the Banks Power Pack kit on it, I assumed I would be paying the state of California to bend me over, as well as having to rummage around for all those OEM pieces I hocked on Ebay.

Not the case. I only have to cough up cash and take it in the ***. I can keep my Banks pieces--this year, anyway. Next year? Vaseline in the glove box--check.

Banks Engineering said the Smog Check should be pretty simple, provided I print out the "Products In Progress List" and take it with me in order to school the technician. The list is for every aftermarket manufacturer, not just Banks, i.e. Bully Dog, Hypertech, Superchips, etc. It has Computer Management, Induction System Air Intake / Intake Manifold / Intercooler, Exhaust System EGR Cooler / Manifold / Turbo, etc...

You can go directly to the list here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...gress_list.pdf

Or, if they amend the list and that link does not work, you might try this page and click on the link:

Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

Basically, it's an official waiver for the aftermarket parts that were made for the truck during a period of time when C.A.R.B. made a change to their rules but didn't bother to figure out how anybody could comply. "Ladies and gentlemen, tomorrow we usher in a new era in pollution control. Beginning tomorrow, you can mix fuel and air together, but you cannot ignite it anymore. Yes, this is a very small change in the way things will be done around here and we suspect this tiny change will have a huge affect on the health of our planet. Thank you for attending this important meeting. We do not have time set aside for any questions. Meeting adjourned. Cookies and Kool-Aid are downstairs on your way out."

17/Sept/2010 update:

I took the truck to Aliso Smog Check (ph: 949-448-7002, 27802 Aliso Creek Rd. # D-180, Aliso Viejo, CA, 92656) I handed them the DMV Registration Renewel Notice, a printout of the Products In Progress List, and a printout of the Aftermarket Parts Database Executive Order. They said the smog test stations were struggling a little bit because the information from the state was a little bit loose. I asked what they were looking for and they said it was a visual inspection of the hard parts to see if they had the the emissions stickers, or in my case they were on the exemption list. They also did a visual inspection of the exhaust smoke coming out of the tail pipe. They started the truck and revved the engine a couple of times. That was it. I don't know if they really knew what they were looking at. I asked if the Banks chip that was installed had anything to do with their inspection and they said no. They charged me $70.00. It took about 15 minutes. Walk-in. No appointment. Next step is paying the state the renewel fee, which is $392.00 for my 2000. F'n joke.

Last edited by heykerrdog; 09-17-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: so everybody understands the list isn't just for Banks parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
HAHA. sounds like a typical bunch of crap to me. i will probably get mine in the mail in a month or two but not sure if i have to "smog" it. i will have to put my CCV back to normal but the guy i am going to wont care about straight pipe. turbos my muffler .
Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

heykerrdog - Good info! Thanks for posting it!!

How long did the whole procedure take? Comparable to what a car SMOG takes?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i live in cali myself. but my rig is smog exempt!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
heykerrdog - Good info! Thanks for posting it!!

How long did the whole procedure take? Comparable to what a car SMOG takes?
I haven't been yet. I'll post after I go. Hopefully it's straightforward.

17/Sept/2010 update posted above in first post

Last edited by heykerrdog; 09-17-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I love living in the sticks. no smog
Old 09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
ARMY MOM!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to korg70kbc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
HAHA. sounds like a typical bunch of crap to me. i will probably get mine in the mail in a month or two but not sure if i have to "smog" it. i will have to put my CCV back to normal but the guy i am going to wont care about straight pipe. turbos my muffler .
CRAP!!!! forgot about the CCV, Thanks for mentioning that since I'm getting ready to go get raped!!! would hate to FLUNK
Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
ARMY MOM!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrehauler View Post
I love living in the sticks. no smog
why no smog for you????
Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone know where I can get my truck smogged in Riverside Ca with straight pipe tomorrow for a normal price? Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 PM
ARMY MOM!!!!

What to take with you to your first SMOG check.........................vaseline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.