snow chains - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
snow chains

Hey all,

I am heading to Yosemite in a couple weeks and they have a very stringent tire chain requirement...meaning I need to get chains, and will probably have to run them if I want to get inside the gate.

I am running a 2002 4x4 dually with stock sized tires. Can any one recommend a chain and a place to get them in the bay area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

I bought Alpine Sport Snow Chains @ Kragen. I bought two sets.....just in case. Haven't had to use them, still in their bags...get loaded into the truck. Usually the warnings say I am required to carry them. I've been on some roads with serious snow on them too. 4x4 has done it for me up to now.

Will they require them or just make sure you have them? I thought 4x's would get to go through....OTOH, I've not been into Yosemite in the winter either. A lot could happen in a couple of weeks. May be snow or not.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM
ARMY MOM!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to korg70kbc
You HAVE to carry them!!! I tried to come home in one of the storms & the dude said if I didn't have them they could turn me back!! 1 exit!
Once they MADE me put it in 4 wheel or weren't letting me thru. I flipped it on went 20' turned it off........idiots, just cause most idiots drive 60 when there is snow on the road!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Yep...must have them...A few years ago (8 I think) in an old subie, I went to yosemite and they demanded that I put chains on. AWD with snow tires even...

I am planning on the worst, hoping for the best. Hopefully, they will let me through just with the visual of having them, I heard putting chains on a dually suck...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Don't you just have to put chains on the outer dually and not the inner? I don't know...I've not had one....just asking.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
You HAVE to carry them!!! I tried to come home in one of the storms & the dude said if I didn't have them they could turn me back!! 1 exit!
Once they MADE me put it in 4 wheel or weren't letting me thru. I flipped it on went 20' turned it off........idiots, just cause most idiots drive 60 when there is snow on the road!!!
Yeah man I completely agree. Cal Trans has their head up their you know what 2/3 of the time anyways. Not to mention the fact that people from the flat lands freak out if their is snow falling even though you can still see the pavement. Have to enjoy my commute from Pleasant Valley to Tahoe year round. Good point korg70kbc.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i found mine at walmart for $69. i threw them behind the rear seat and forget about them, or Les Schuab tires has a deal that if you buy them and dont use them, you can return them in the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.