Bulletproof Diesel complete oil/EGR cooler install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
BulletProofDiesel.com Advertisement Bullet Proof Diesel.com/Neal Technologies

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Bulletproof Diesel complete oil/EGR cooler install

Removed front bumper, grill, and plastic flap. After this you remove the condenser

Nevermind the C clamp, I was using that to hold the oil cooler while I tightened the cold weather stat. The clamp is not really necessary

Be sure to install the brass plug. The BPD instructions don't really specify this part.

Oil filter housing moched into place. The fittings are NOT in the correct place at this time

On the 05-07's the 90* fitting is aimed towards the back of the truck. A hole cut through the rubber flap to slide the hose through. I put little bags of the A/C line fittings to keep debris from getting in there. Not good for you A/C! This hose is really easy to route, though this hole, and to the transfer block. Just keep it tiddy and out of the way. I sent mine between the A/C accumulater and A/C line and next to the oil filler tube

You have to cut this small chunk from the headlight frame on the passenger side to allow enough room for the oil thermostat

I forgot to take pics of the new hose. The only thing different is that the new hose is about an inch longer, and I routed it behind the PS lines. Route this hose under the front fender, and above the frame to the oil filter housing

Turbo out and some other things out of the way

A work of art! Beautiful BPD oil transfer block with fittings and sensors installed

Removed the turbo, FICM, intake, and oil oil cooler. The cat litter was to soak up the oil that came out from under the oil cooler. My driveway is at a pretty good angle, and if it were flat you should not have this issue. Be sure to remove the OE filter screen, as the BPD transfer block has a stainless steel one mounted to the bottom permanently. Be sure to fill the HPOP res. before installing the tranfer block!

Out with the old cooler!

Old EGR cooler on the bottom, and BPD on the top. I didn't feel like cleaning the old one to get a pic pic of the OE cooling fins vs the BPD stainless steel pipes

BPD oil transfer block's integral HPOP screen

Bpd transfer block installed in the valley. OE torque is 16 ft lbs on these bolts

Condenser mounted back in place with oil cooler attached. Prime the oil cooler before final installation of hoses. I did it the hard way and primed it before installing, and made a HUGE mess in my driveway! I think you can prime it through the hose or something, but a quick call to BPD may give you a faster way to prime it

Final installation of oil filter housing with hoses attached. Notice the fitting locations. Be sure to prime the oil filter!

Final valley pic with oil tranfer block and EGR cooler installed. The routing of the drivers side hose is a one way design, meaning that you only have enough hose to do it one way. It is routed from the oil filter housing between the fender and above the frame through the rubber flap. Then in between the intercooler and air filter housing snout. The EGR cooler has a certain torque sequence and the torque spec is 8 ft lbs

Post #2 for the intake torque sequence Torque specs for 6.0 - PowerStrokeNation

All in all, I think it took me about 30 hours to complete. The hardest part for me was mounting the oil cooler to the condenser. The rest was prety easy, but time consuming

Bulletproof diesel customer service is TOP NOTCH! They sent me the updated hose from the oil cooler to the filter housing and the tee overnight. Their techs are great too with any kind of advice you may need. Special thanks to Gene, Justin, JC, and John, and everybody else that performs a duty at NEAL Technologies. Thanks for making this install and product second to none

Last edited by 2006PSDSD; 06-06-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very nice, Good work
Old 06-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Damn, good work man. Thats a lot of work.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:13 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the write-up, Nicholas.

This project is formally on my to-do list now.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 AM

Thanks guys! Its was a LOT of work, but I had a good time doing it... most of the time, LOL. My chest, thighs, and stomach are all bruised from laying on top of the engine for a week. That overhead creeper might actually be worth 200 dollars
Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Slacker

Great job in performing the install and decent job on the documentation... Oh and where's the video of your engine running? Yeah, it tears your chest and stomach up to lay on the engine; the topside creeper is a must have if you are going to do more than one of these...

PS. I LOVE the empty Busch can in the box with the old oil cooler! That ALWAYS makes the install much easier...
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Great job in performing the install and decent job on the documentation... Oh and where's the video of your engine running? Yeah, it tears your chest and stomach up to lay on the engine; the topside creeper is a must have if you are going to do more than one of these...

PS. I LOVE the empty Busch can in the box with the old oil cooler! That ALWAYS makes the install much easier...
I tried, but my wife was not there like I thought she would be, to take the photos. I was surprised I had as many pics as I did. I'm not totally sure how to post that video, I'll look into it tonight (I can't get on PB from work). I figured the same thing, and I don't plan to have to work on my truck enough to spend that kind of money on the topside creeper

LOL, I had to use that to empty the HPOP reservoir . And yes, it does seem to ease the pain from all the bruising
Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Slacker

DUDE, That writeup is MUCH better! Thanks for posting the pics with the descriptions. Were you able to get the drivers side hose figured out?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Thanks bud! .

Yeah, Andrew said that's the way it was supposed to go. Yours is custom apparently. They are not made to go over the top of the air filter . He did say that he would help me out if I wanted to route it behind the intercooler pipe instead of its current location. Ken has had his that way for 60k, so I'm sure I'll be ok, lol

Last edited by 2006PSDSD; 06-06-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Slacker

A one-of-a-kind setup!!! I like that... Glad it wasn't anything to worry about for you. Ken's taken his truck up and down the Baja peninsula several times, so if anyone has put it through it's paces, he has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.