99 eating PCM's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 eating PCM's

ok guys I am at the end of my wits, I will give as much detail as I can although some seems non related.
1) I had a 200K 7.3L that was due for injectors, all 8 worked just wanted singles
2) I ordered 160/30 form PIS and tuning from Jody @ DP tuner.
3) install went good, but #5 was not firing. Swapped with #6 and its the cyl not injector.
4) wrung out harness to the IDM All good, reassembled. Still no #5
5) Heres where it gets weird, Replaced IDM and the truck started
6) AE says #5 low contribution and K Ram fault I can get codes from list if needed.
7) I get stupid, and wonder if the Tuner is causing me issues and "possibly" removed connector with key on and reinstalled. Not sure, I know better but it is possible. Truck will now not start at all. DEAD Remove PCM and open, Ram chip is blown.
8) order new PCM, Install, Batteries are disconnected for sure, Connect power and try to start PCM Fries within seconds and truck doesn't start. Remove PCM fired exactly as before. PCM is out now.
9)Found Junkyard PCM from 99 Van wrong code, DPC405, Install and don't install tuner, truck starts, runs and I am able to move it down road but of course it is not happy. But I need a baseline.
10) Disconnect batterys and install tuner, reconnect batteries and turn on key, NOTED no wait to start light, though gee I didn't see one the last time either, maybe I shouldn attempt to start or I will fry PCM.
12) Get my hands on a Rebuilt XLE4 thinking maybe it was just the tunner not liking the wrong PCM and that is why the Wait to start never lit.
13) without power install rebuilt PCM withou tuner, reconnect power, wait to start present and start truck.
14) Disconnect power and instal Chip, reconnect power and no wait to start.

I am absoultly sure the terminals are good and clean on both PCMs, in fact both have been retinned to ensure it.
Jodys website lists this a the problem most of the time.

now what? Is it possible the tner has a issue which could have fried both PCMs? I sure don't want to turn the key on one of these PCMs just to find out.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, my fifth wheel is stuck where its at and I need to get the truck up to get it.

Last edited by jester4always; 05-18-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Changed for accuracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.