Repainting entire truck - Need suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Repainting entire truck - Need suggestions

My '05's paint is actually in really nice shape... one problem though - A hail storm in April '11 did some real damage to the body. The hood, roof, doors and fenders suffered some damage. Luckily, insurance will be picking up the majority of the tab.

When I have the hail damage fixed, I'll also be replacing/repainting the bed at the same time due to rust.

That being said, every body shop I've talked to has said that I need to repaint the entire truck. I'm fine with that, but want to ensure the best possible job, so I'll be removing some of the minor things to eliminate "tape lines".

I will be removing mirrors, headlights (maybe grill too?), taillights, door handles, tailgate emblem, handle and upper plastics. How about the factory running boards (mine are the ones that mount at 3 points and hang down) The window trims will be removed by the body shop.

Is there anything else that you'd recommend I remove?

Any advice would be great - I want to avoid having to tape much off to ensure the best possible finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 05:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They said they should paint your WHOLE truck? I can see why as far as the rust goes, but how deep is the hail. I actually work for Dent Wizard, and many times, we can make hail cars look great, depending on how deep they are ofcourse. Not really a reason to repaint unless you just want to or it's really needed.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
as far as any good shop repainting a vehicle, they will remove all moldings, window seals, mirrors, door handles, etc. They will also have all of the tape lines on the inside of each door to where you will not be able to feel them or see them once sanded
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillis2003 View Post
They said they should paint your WHOLE truck? I can see why as far as the rust goes, but how deep is the hail. I actually work for Dent Wizard, and many times, we can make hail cars look great, depending on how deep they are ofcourse. Not really a reason to repaint unless you just want to or it's really needed.
The dents are so numerous and so deep, I don't even want to consider paintless dent removal. The roof got badly hammered. Plus, the hail actually pushed the edge of the hood down (right at the edge) and creased the paint.

The body shops that I've talked to have all suggested a complete paint job. The fact is that EVERYTHING but the doors would be repainted anyway - So, why not? That way everything matches. I'm a stickler for details and really hate the idea of a complete repaint, but honestly, there really isn't any other option at this point - Mother nature decided to go #2 on the truck - Both with hail and rust, so my hands are tied...
Old 01-02-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante04SRT View Post
The dents are so numerous and so deep, I don't even want to consider paintless dent removal. The roof got badly hammered. Plus, the hail actually pushed the edge of the hood down (right at the edge) and creased the paint.

The body shops that I've talked to have all suggested a complete paint job. The fact is that EVERYTHING but the doors would be repainted anyway - So, why not? That way everything matches. I'm a stickler for details and really hate the idea of a complete repaint, but honestly, there really isn't any other option at this point - Mother nature decided to go #2 on the truck - Both with hail and rust, so my hands are tied...
Well in that case, there's nothing wrong with a new paint job. I'm real anal about details myself and ended up having the whole bed and front bumper repainted after I wrecked it a few months back. Nothing wrong with a repaint, just gotta make sure you find a good shop. I wish I could help you out but unfortunately I don't know any good body shops over there. Just remember, often times the higher end body shops don't cost anymore than the cheap body shops, atleast that's what I found. Nothin worse then crappy body work/ paint. Just ask around for a higher end body shop that does all he Mercedes, bmws, etc.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 PM

...dropped the truck off a week ago for a complete new paintjob. I wound up taking off:

Grill
Headlights
Taillights
Mirrors
Running Boards
Fender Flares
Disassembled tail gate completely (have 08 step gate)
Rear bumper
Inner door panels (so they shop could easily remove door handles, etc)

Should be back HOPEFULLY by next Friday.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I paint cars for a living , Mainly prefer to do custom work but , I also get alot of business from insurance claims as well....

I wouldnt think that the whole truck needed a respray but if you KNOW that there is repair work needed over the entire vehicle - Down on the sides & even into the lower section of the body sides - Then its your only option ......

Typically what we do as painters & What we agree upon with your insurance adjusters for supplements - The panels USUALLY get blended into the next panels -- New hood blended down onto the top of the fenders ,, Front fender blended into the doors , ect ......

You did the painter some favors & I hope you got a kick back for doing the work that Im sure they supplemented in.... All the R&I's you did add up to Hundreds & Sometimes Thousands.....
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 PM

If you hire a guy off craigslist to paint your truck make sure you also pull your head unit, speakers, any aftermarket parts. Shops quoted me 26-30k for the complete exterior resto of my OBS. Mexican hot rod shop off CL quoted me 3k and did it for 2k. Truck came back with something you would find in the dumpster at car toys instead of my $2000 nav unit. She's damn purdy tho (even came back with the 5k worth of new wheels and tires I had on it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.