Door Ajar Light is on - Power locks do not work - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Door Ajar Light is on - Power locks do not work

Hello

I have a 2001 F-250 Supercab (7.3). The door ajar light has been on since I purchased the truck (as a project) last September. Also, the door lock button does not work - when you press the lock button, you can hear the switch trying to lock or until and you can see the lock itself moves, but only slightly.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

The door lock solenoid in the door has probably gone out. I've had two on my crew cab do that.

Is it both doors or only one?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All doors

It is all 4 doors - the back door locks to not even move.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

2 of My dually's actuators went out. My f250 also has 2 that are out. My friend also has a f250 that has actuators out. I believe this is a common problem.

Not sure about the door ajar light.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2 really great resources for changing the power door lock actuator motor

I found 2 really great resources for changing the power door lock actuator motor

For anyone that has a lazy power door lock actuator motor, don't think you can replace the factory piece with a generic one.

I got a replacement for the front passenger side actuator from Ford Parts and Ford Diesel Parts at Powerstroke Shop (wabash work trucks). Just under $40 bucks. Not cheap but this is direct replacement.

It's a funky unit, looks nothing like traditional door solenoids.

You'll have to remove the door trim. First take off the pillar cover (pulls off). Pull up on front of power window/door lock panel, remove. Remove trim bolt under there. Remove both electrical connectors from the door lock/window switch panel. Remove door light lens with small flat screwdriver, remove hidden trim bolt there.

Pull up on door panel. Pull a few inches away from the door. Remove door light from back of panel (twist and pull). Place door panel out of the way.

Pull back inner door cover. Remove 3 bolts that hold door latch in place (right by the striker hole). Remove door handle actuator rod from upper mount, use large screwdriver to push apart retainer.

Remove 10mm window regulator/rail fastener.

Remove yellow door lock button fastener that holds door lock button rod.

Unplug door lock actuator electrical connector, use small flat blade screwdriver to pry up slightly on retainer while using a larger screwdriver to pry out the plug.

Get your tiny hand into the larger door panel hole and reach back to release the green/black retainer that holds the rod coming from the outer door handle.

Push the clip into the door that holds the cable that comes from the inside door handle to the lock. So you can move the latch around freely.

Push the window regulator/rail towards the outside of the door (away from you) and fiddle the lock mechanism with actuator towards the large hole in the inside door.

Once you can twist the lock mechanism/actuator enough, use a flat screwdriver to pry up the retainer on the inside of the actuator where it slides sideways onto the lock mechanism. Pull it at the same time to remove it.

Install is in reverse with new actuator
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for this post. I followed your helpful instructions and the video, and both doors are now functional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.