Good injector info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good injector info

Check out this thread: Injector issues from contaiminated oil. - Powerstroke Nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 AM

Dang... that is not cool. now that I am burning oil, I am a little more scared. at least with Bio I was washing the crap out of it. with oil, I am not.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
Dang... that is not cool. now that I am burning oil, I am a little more scared. at least with Bio I was washing the crap out of it. with oil, I am not.
Water washing or centrifuging your oil will remove said contaminates.
I prefer to just provide my oil barrels and explain to them that NOTHING but oil should go into that barrel. If you dumpster dive, your gambling on getting tainted oil.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm with CHenry! lukiss
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 AM

So what if there is a temp cook in there that day cause the main guy is sick or on vacation or something? you can say all you want and tell them over and over but that does not mean they will always do so.

clay - 2 sets of injectors?!? i take it you were dumpster diving at the time? How much tanted oil did you run before it killed the injectors?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Those 6.0Leaker injectors get expensive quick....
Old 02-12-2009, 05:28 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
So what if there is a temp cook in there that day cause the main guy is sick or on vacation or something? you can say all you want and tell them over and over but that does not mean they will always do so.

clay - 2 sets of injectors?!? i take it you were dumpster diving at the time? How much tanted oil did you run before it killed the injectors?
Don't get all excited. This is not as common as it seems. Most resturants know its illegal to dispose of these chemical in the grease dumpster.
I say its not common but it happened to me more than once and both times it was oil that was obtained from a dumpster (first time) or other sorce that i could not verify its origon. The second time, i had picked up oil when the state fair was packing up and leaving town and the food vendors had set cubies or oil out by the curb in front of there booths and i drove around and collected it. A buddy of mine was also helping me and i knew then that i needed to test all this oil...my friend did not know it needed testing and he took the liberty of going to my house with a truckload of cubies to unload it in my garage and when he got there, he saw that my prefilter barrel was empty to he dumped 10 cubies of the oil in it without telling me. When i got home i just saw all this oil stacked up and never thought twice about the fact that the barrel was filled...i processed it and used it and began seeing a rise in my oil level immediately after burning that tank. The rise in oil level means leaking injectors.
To safeguard against this, if you want to dumpster dive, NEVER pump from the bottom of the dumpster and NEVER take it all...leave the lower 1/3 there - thats where the sodium hydroxide will be (if they dumped in it there) imersed in the water they mixed it with when they cleaned the fryers.
Again, this is not a real common issue as I understand it from talking to Swamps diesel about it. There injector guy (Johnathan) inspected my injectors both time this happened to confirm that i a caustic had etched them and destroyed them. He said he has seen this happen only one other time (besides me) and that he sees it alot with guys making home brew bio who dont get all the lye out of the brew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Fire View Post
Those 6.0Leaker injectors get expensive quick....
$2900 parts and labor both times...but i am still ahead money wise with the volume of free vegi i have burned.
I no longer get oil anywhere that i can not verify the sorce. My resturants have been told - i talked to the head cooks and i addressed the issue of someone else changing the oil and not knowing and I was told only one guy knows how to change the oil and no one else would be doing this. I am pretty positive it won't happen again but i am still looking for a way to do a quick, easy test.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM

Wow sux that happened.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:47 AM
Premium Member

Is there any way for you to check the pH of your brew before you pump it into the tank on your truck? Not sure if that would be an easy test or if it would be a royal pain in the rear
Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Thats why I like my "little" small restaurants. They know me, and I know them. I am welcomed in their kitchen anytime. My Mexican restaurant drains their fryer into a soup pot dedicated to hot oil while hot, then pour the oil into my barrel. The rest goes into their dumpster. My chinese place drains the top oil into cubies for me, and puts them inside the back door. My Beef O' Brady's is a brand new place that has an in house filter system. They filter their oil before they put it into cubies.The owner drives a 97 powerstroke and loves my bio. Thats why the oil gets an "extra" trip through the filters before being put into the cubies. Otherwise, they would just dump it. No need to filter oil youre not going to use anymore, but since he runs his truck on my bio too, then the oil gets a little extra attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.