Heating/warming a tote? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heating/warming a tote?

I have some oil that is full of fats and thick stuff. I can heat it up and it thins out nicely. Right now I can pump it around no prob or gravity feed it but that is because its 100 out. I am looking for a way to heat a tote up. I need maybe 100 deg in the tote to get the oil thin enough to gravity to my CF where I have a heater that gets it to 160 deg.

I have seen some nice tote wrap blankets to heat the tote but they are $1600 bucks. There is a company that makes a heat pad that goes under the tote to heat it up but that is $600 ish. I have in the past used a HWH element dangling in a tote or barrel (not touching the sides!) and that worked ok but slow. Price was less than 20 bucks. I have thought about using waterbed heater pads under/around a tote to see if that works.

I have a 25 gal hwh available so I thought about running a big heat loop in the totes with pex or something like that (cheap and easy) and then heating up the water and using a small pump to circulate the water. more tube = more surface area to warm the oil.

Looking for other ideas if anyone has them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Pex doesnt conduct heat well. If you went that route, use aluminum tube.
I would check all the thrift stores for a water bed heater. Then the only issue is getting it under the tote with good contact.
A bucket heater dropped in the top would be my next choice. Drop it in all the way on the bottom and leave it for 3-4 hours.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am kinda leaning towards the heat loop because that opens the door for a solar heat collector too. Dang my redneck engineer mind is going crazy with ideas.

I know they use PEX in radiant heating so I figured it would work here too. I did not think plastic tub was all that good anyway.

The down side to the waterbed heater is they are usually 200-300 watts. that seems pretty low power wise and I fear it will take a long time to warm the tote.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Use black poly pipe
Old 07-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Same type 1/2" used in heating swimming pools use 12v solar panel and run 12v pump to keep water moving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.