Fuge pump dual use? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuge pump dual use?

I'm starting the conversion of my 97 7.3. I've managed to find a source of oil so the first step is to build out my filtering needs. My plan is to use the dieselcraft OC-20 centrifuge. They suggest their own pump which has characteristics quite similar to the RawPower pump. Rather than purchase two pumps, it occurs to me that I could simply use one for both purposes. In short, I could build out a second loop on the pump to push to the centrifuge*. Back into the garage, hook up the lines, and filter my oil. It's a minor difficulty making a power disconnect to run the pump on a line driven power supply. What I'm not so sure of is if the use of one pump would ultimately be a detriment to wear. Given that the suggested dieselcraft pump is in the neighborhood of $650, and the rawpower pump is around $500, and given initial investment v. replacement down the road, I can see it as being no different to use one pump rather than two. And, to top it off, if I want to make a mobile filtering works, it's all right there. Any thoughts?

*Just to clarify, this is a separate loop going from waste collection to a filtered storage rather than waste collection through the fuge to the tank as it seems multiple passes with the dieselcraft oc-20 may be required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

with all of that money you are investing Id just get an open bowl type centrifuge and a cheap harbor freight clear water pump. The problem I have with those pressurized centrifuges is that if the system pressurizes from a block or whatever reason then it just contaminated all of your clean oil. Id rather heat and settle oil into a conical tank and then take from the top and filter that oil into a house water type filters.
The Following User Says Thank You to erbilabuc For This Useful Post:
_hojo_ (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
The problem I have with those pressurized centrifuges is that if the system pressurizes from a block or whatever reason then it just contaminated all of your clean oil.
Is this a common problem that you've seen even with proper pre filtering? I planed on using a 60micron pre filter. If blockage is an issue within their normal operating range then I'll rethink it.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:18 PM

Rethink it. Spinner fugues don't quite cut it.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am just starting my own conversion, so I don't know a lot about smaller vs larger centerfuges, but I am thinking of trying something similar. What is the beef with the smaller 'fuges? All my filtration will be onboard, so a full size unit doesn't make much sense, and I won't necessarily be able to park somewhere warm long enough to let water settle out. So I'm also thinking the dieselcraft mini-fuge driven by the same raw power pump used to run the engine. It would be on a loop so that it pulls from the bottom of my collection tank, heats the oil using a FPHE, then back into the same tank. I'm roughly following this design by sunwizard at burnveg: Dieselcraft WVO centrifuge works great-My filter dewater rig : Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering. Sounds like he's had good results so long as you let it run long enough to recirculate the volume of oil 4+ times. I'm sure this will add wear to the pump, but I'm thinking that 4/5 hours a month is negligible, and one $500 pump should be enough!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:09 AM

Oh boy.
Good luck with that.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I honestly don't know what the h3ll I'm doing, so please elaborate if you see major flaws in my plan.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
Rethink it. Spinner fugues don't quite cut it.
Spinners are just that. A toy. Makes you feel good, but in my opinion only accomplishes a "good feeling".

Either time to settle, or a lot of heat are required to accomplish a good settle. Heat to 300*F and settle for 24-48 hours is sufficient. Otherwise, several weeks at 80*F can accomplish the same result. If messing with WVO as a raw unaltered fuel, dewatering is paramount. Several on this site have learned the expensive way about water and H2O/NaOH do to injectors. It is my belief that an adequate onboard filtration is a dream. A pipe dream. I suggest not doing it.

"Gravity feed " CF's are arguably best. It's what most use who are succesful long term. There are many turn key CF's out there, just avoid the cheapest.

The wheel has already been invented, partly due to failures by some and successes by others. We cannot, however, alter things like gravity and chemistry. Therefore my advice is to stick with what has been proven to work. It's cheaper and causes much less pain.

Did I mention I do not recommend raw WVO as a motor fuel? That's a different post for a different day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
filtering, fuge, pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.