Newb Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newb Questions

Hello all,

I have been reading through the WVO (Waste Veg oil - from restaurants etc from my understanding?) posts for the last couple of days. I have a friend of a friend that has a powerstroke with a veggie kit, as well as a job filtering restaurant friers, prolonging the life of the oil for the restaurant, then removes their old oil, which he then filters again and runs in his truck.

It seems like a pretty decent setup- free fuel (ish), spare WVO to sell off to others that have veggie systems, and income from the restaurants.

Has anyone here made a go at this. I live in Milwaukee- we have at least 3 decent sized colleges, manty highschools, hospitals, etc... on top of a thousand restaurants that specialize in fish fry's...

From my very prelim research, it appears as though I could get a truck 01ish, veg filtration system (R.F. Hunter Portable Oil Filtration and Disposal Systems / 65 and 130 Lb. Capacity Filtrator / Disposal Caddies / Reversible Motor / Rechargeable Battery / Portable Oil Filtration and Disposal Systems by R.F. Hunter - Restaurant Equipment and Restaur) , and veg conversion kit for roughly 20k...

I am looking for advice from anyone that might know anything...

Also, I work full time, and am going to get an MBA in the evenings, and think it would be fun to try and start a small company...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

all i can say is research research research. i have a veggie system too. love it, it needs a few mods but thats about it. get to know the collection and filtration process well. keep browsing forums, and beware of what a company tells you when it comes to veggie when they stand to profit or loose money because of the veggie use. youll thenbe able to wade through the mis-information. this is such a broad subject its probably better if you have specific questions...
Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From what i have read, there isnt really an issue as far as choosing between the 99-02 7.3 or the 6.0- both do just fine. I see you have 270k on your truck, is 111k worrysome?

This is one of the trucks i have been looking at...
Car Corral of Minocqua
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I don't know about the link you posted there but look into "my filtration setup" in this section...its a sticky at the top of the list. Its simple to use and not very time consumming at all.

Also look into DFA for your conversion. Its the cats pajamas for vegi conversions on a PSD. Begin by getting a truck, any PSD will work for this setup - thats a fine looking rig you posted the link too. The after you have a truck you can start to find oil sorces and think about your collection techniques. I have a writeup on here about that as well. Once you secure some oil and start to stock pile it, order the conversion and build your filtration unit.

If you have more questions, just hit me up and i'll try to muddy the water even more for ya...
Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

CHenry knows his stuff, hes a great source of info.

I dont know anything about the 6.0. I know the newer diesels have higher fuel pressures and higher injection pop-offs. i think they have more fuel sensors now too. that would by my only concern with a newer diesel. i would think you would be ok if you filter and dewater well alongside iwth proper warmup and shutwon switchover times. CHnery, hows yuor sysmte been treating you? is the 51k miles on it still current? ever run pho?

i have heard nothing but good things with the 7.3 and veggie. a couple guys on the greasecar foum claim to have over 200k miles on veggie. i dont doubt them either. the way the 7.3 is built makes it a great candidate.

i plan on building a centrifuge soon, and combining it with a bag filter setup, im just trying to find a low cost rotor. right now im just using bag filters as the way i collect doesnt pose a water problem. good luck!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Nah, the 51 K needs to be updated...I'll have to check it...its more like 61k I think.
Doing great still.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, the item I linked is a oil filtration device- it is portable so you take it to the restaurant to filter the oil for them, then after that , you take the oil home and use the equip to filter again. I am looking to recoup some of the costs for having a vegi truck by starting a small part time business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.