Kerosene - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kerosene

Can kerosene be used as a main source of fuel on an 6.0 engine? I have heard very mixed stories, but not a lot of write up as I know in the US, kerosene is more expensive than diesel.

Anyone have any info on this?

Last edited by magnus; 01-02-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Jon

!

No, and I believe the reason is that its to dry and doesnt lube the fuel system.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what if you run it with a blend of diesel, and/or additives?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
I'd like to know for 7.3's too.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Emergency Services

You can definitely run kerosene in your diesels. It comes in Low Sulfur and Ultra Low Sulfur varieties. I know that in marine applications, people use it a lot. It is supposed to clean up your injectors, pumps, etc. If you are worried about lubricity, you can never have enough, just add some more lubricant additive.

If people are running strait transmission fluid, waste motor oil, etc, Kerosene sounds pretty tame, in my opinion. I really wouldn't be afraid of running it strait, but if you worried about lubricity, add some additive.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:21 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

you better filter it well before you add it, and not to call BS on elibenson, but Jon knows his stuff, so you might really wanna check into this before you just stick some in your tank.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Emergency Services

I am not planning on putting any in my tank. I do know for a fact (I helped put it in there) that the boats that I used to work on ran a tank of kerosene every week or so to (supposedly) keep everything cleaned in the engine. I tell you what, they did run clean. No smoking, no knocking, reduced diesel-noise, etc. This was a time when marine diesels were still using high-sulfur diesel. Nowadays they are using Low or Ultra-low sulfur. I think at the time people were thinking that you needed to clean up your engines after running some really nasty dirty diesel in them. I don't know what the long term effects of it were, but the engines were continuing to work well after I left that company.

Now, running it in your road vehicles is not economically feasible. I can buy a lot of diesel for the price of kerosene.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

where I am from, the kerosene is about 40% lower in price than diesel, that is why I asked, but I dont want to risk anything. After some research, I know some ppl run it 20% kerosene and 80% diesel, and then some 2 stroke oil etc, but then I might as well just run 100% diesel as 2 stroke is expensive. I also read of few ppl running it 80% kerosene but man oh man...too much information, and I'm lost haha
Old 01-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the two stroke thing seems to work. I've ran it in about 5 tanks. I just use the little bottle of tcw3 from wally world. Quiets it down quite a bit. doesnt do anything for mileage. Having a quiet engine on a 500 mile trip is worth a couple extra bucks to me.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Emergency Services

I wonder why kerosene is cheaper. Are you sure it's not heating oil that you are thinking of? I have heard of people running heating oil too, but I don't think I would. l think it is very high in particulate matter, and would probably do a job on your injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.