Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

got some crap oil

848 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Clay Henry 
#1 ·
got some crap oil about 200 gallons worth. It's kind of creamy lookin. Is there anything I can do with this? Guy giving me the oil didn't know where to pump from so it looks like the bottom of the barrel. I wasn't paying attention when they filled my tanks. I didn't bring my setup they said they have theirs already.

Any hope?

Thanks

#4 ·
it sounds like water contamination, if you have a way of heating the oil just heat it to 212-220*F and keep it there until it clarifies then filter it as usual. I get this crap all the time but I make bio so water = lots of soap so I have to boil the water off. just make sure you do stir it occationly or a steam bubble may blow out from the bottom of the barrel and throw hot oil everywhere, don't ask don't even ask :doh:

#5 ·
I had some of this over the summer, I put about 3 gals at a time in a steel bucket and placed it over a camp fire on some cinder blocks (mostly just put coals under it as to not start a grease fire). Just stir occasionally, and then poured it right into my Frybrid still filter setup. It worked, but it was more trouble than it was worth IMO.

#7 ·
Take a sample of it in a jar, heat it on the stove to about 150, let it cool and settle and see what it looks like. If a bunch of crap settles out you will see it. If it turns nice and golder when hot, its just oil with PH shortnings in it or alot of animal fat - in either case, its usable.
If you heat it and settle out alot of water, its still usable, just wet.
I use a bucket heater, pour my cloudy, animal fat laiden oil in a 5 gallon bucket, heat it with the bucket heater for 10 minutes and it clears right up so i can pour it through a strainer into my filter unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.