Titration in relation to PH - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Titration in relation to PH

Whats the corilation...or is there one?
I want a fast easy way to test PH levels of the vegi oil i use.
I understand very little about what actually occures durring a titration test but i think i understand that it is a measure of FFA in the oil? Correct?
Is there any link to PH from this test?
I titrated som eoil over at a friends house the other day - he knows how to do this and has all the stuff.
It was the nastiest oil i ever collected and i was curious. It titrated at 15. Now i know its full of chicken fat - i can see a visible layer of lighter collored fat in the bottom half. But this just means its crap as far as making Bio-D...it still burnes nicely in my straight vegi conversion. I just want to test for PH levels. Is there an easy way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

you should be able to buy some of that litmus paper (I think thats how its spelled) and dip it into the oil, then compare the color that it turns with a provided chart

edit: pH - Tester

Last edited by stroken04; 12-09-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

Go to a pool or hot tub supply company. They'll have test kits with strips in them so you can test the pH of whatever you want.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't know nuttin....

a PH test on oil won't work.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
That figures, I wonder why?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Was going to say I thought we had this discussion a few months ago and came to that conclusion.

Dont remembber what it was, but I think PH is testing the current acid/base state where titration is breaking down the oil to its seperate components and seeing what acid level is created, and would need to be neutralized in Biodiesel.

The Pyhnothalene (spelled wrong I know) is the dropper bottle from a pool store that measures acid level, that is used in the titration test. which defines the acid base line. Its acidic until you add enough of the NaOH solution to push the solution to a base and it turns pink.

So the isopropyl breakdown makes the FFA into acid, and you are testing the acidity, not sure what titration value corilates to PH level, but I think they are still pretty close, where BD is not acidic even if its isnt neutralized correctly.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't know nuttin....

A titration of 15 would cross corolate to a base number that would burn your finger off. A base solution has a high PH number. An Acid would be a 1 while nuetral is a 7 and a base is a higher number like 14 So a PH 15 would be a caustic that would ment my engine block.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Emergency Services

Clay--

as I understand it, titration is simply a method which determines the FFA content and the amount of catalyst needed to cause the chemical reaction esterfication to occur.

The titration process assumes the pH needed to cause a reaction to occur is 8.5. The addition of NaOH soultion during the titration process raises the pH of the oil and the phenythalein indicates a pH of 8.5 when it turns pink. The more NaOH you added (you mentioned 15?) during the process, the more acidic the WVO was.

The pH of the oil is certainly part of the titration process, and I am sure you could get an approximate pH from testing. I doubt you would get a numerical value or quantitative measurement from the results of titration that would give you an exact answer.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hey this sounds like something we talked about one time

a 15 would make some bio that is VERY soapy in a single stage reaction. not fun. I tried a 12 once and washed it many many many times and still made crappy bio.

so your 15 oil burns well in the svo kit? that is good to hear. I can get a supply of 15 to 20 oil but passed up on it a while ago because it sucks for bio. I better go talk to them again!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

here is some good info

Titrating Oil - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.