Best way to transport 500 or 1000 gallons of oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Best way to transport 500 or 1000 gallons of oil

I might be able to get alot of never used virgin cooking oil. I need to somehow transport this oil.

Has anyone here ever transported 500 or 1000+ gallons at once? Whats the best way?

I looked into renting a uhaul enclosed dual axle trailer and get two 330 gallon totes. I can also throw in another tote or a bunch of drums in the back of my bed.

One issue with the uhaul trailer is that they say the max load is 2600 lbs. I know this is obviously a very cautious limit but still its pretty low.

If you think of the big containers of oil at costco or sams club, they are 5 gallons and weigh 35 lbs. So each gallon of oil is about 7-8 lbs. If i get 660 gallons in the trailer thats 660 x 7 = 4620. This is way over the limit.

Anyone ever tow alot with a uhaul trailer?

What about their car transport trailer? They are rated for 4000 lbs. I could strap down the totes and 4620 should be fine.

I thought about renting a water trailer and just cleaning it out before bringing it back, but that seems like alot of work and I might get charged for "damaging" it if not cleaned thoroughly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this a one time deal or might you me doing this more than once?
I see used old firetrucks for sale all the time for 1500 or 2000...large capacity to haul and already equipt with a pump and hoses.
How cool would you be hauling vegi oil in a fire engine?
I actually know a guy who bought one for this reason.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:43 AM

How bout a fertilizer wagon. They will hold 1000 gal and support the weight. Fert is around 10 lbs a gallon
Old 11-14-2008, 12:34 PM

First off were does one find almost 1000 gallons of virgin oil??? It sounds like you need to go rent a heavier trailer. Call a equipment rental place, they usually have heavy duty trailers you can rent.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't know nuttin....

i can haul 4900 lbs in the bed of the dually...i'll bring my 600 gallon tank and haul you a load if you let me take a load home too.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

I don't know about where you are, but there are 16' trailers all around me with at least 3500# axles. They usually rent for $25/day. Or you can use mine.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
haha.. thanks clay, ill keep that in mind.

Not too many places in los angeles that rent out trailers besides uhaul.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Emergency Services

How bout renting a F450 stake body. Should handle the load with no problem!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:02 PM

I'll suggest the same thing i did the last time this question was asked - rent a box truck, they're usually cheaper to rent than a trailer anyway and can hold the weigh of as many 300G totes you can fit in the box.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optx002 View Post
I might be able to get alot of never used virgin cooking oil. I need to somehow transport this oil.

Has anyone here ever transported 500 or 1000+ gallons at once? Whats the best way?

I looked into renting a uhaul enclosed dual axle trailer and get two 330 gallon totes. I can also throw in another tote or a bunch of drums in the back of my bed.

One issue with the uhaul trailer is that they say the max load is 2600 lbs. I know this is obviously a very cautious limit but still its pretty low.

If you think of the big containers of oil at costco or sams club, they are 5 gallons and weigh 35 lbs. So each gallon of oil is about 7-8 lbs. If i get 660 gallons in the trailer thats 660 x 7 = 4620. This is way over the limit.

Anyone ever tow alot with a uhaul trailer?

What about their car transport trailer? They are rated for 4000 lbs. I could strap down the totes and 4620 should be fine.

I thought about renting a water trailer and just cleaning it out before bringing it back, but that seems like alot of work and I might get charged for "damaging" it if not cleaned thoroughly.

Well I would try some rental places besides U-haul to see what they might have. On another note I don't know where you live but in some states it's illegal for private citizens to haul large amounts of oil (crude/vegetable/grease) for environmental purposes. You should really find out how many gallons you can transport legally. I'm just saying if your were to get pulled over for what ever reason you could get yourself into some trouble. I heard in California they are fining home bio-diesel producers that haul large amounts of waste vegetable oil because they don't have a proper hazmate licensing. You'll probably haul it anyways I thought I might warn you. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.