filtered used motor oil blend use, how long, which engines - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
filtered used motor oil blend use, how long, which engines

not talking about bio d but filtered used motor oil, and other oils used as fuel. I'm curious as to if this really works without messing up your engine. So, if your using a blend what is the blend, how often do you use it, how long have you used it and which engine and its modifications do you run it in.
I heard some of the really old engines will burn just about any oil without problems if filtered.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM

Does it work?? Depends on who you talk to.

It has been run in alot of 7.3's with varying degree's of success. I have read of some running it 6.0's but that's really taking some chances. Older Mercedes engines & mechanically injected Cummins will run most anything. Wouldn't suggest any Chev engine other then maybe a 6.2.

I have never run it myself but have talked to alot of guys that have & the most important thing is filter, filter & filter some more. When I say filter I mean with a centrifuge. Spin on filters alone will not get WMO clean enough.

Also it seems that if you run any more the 50% WMO you will eventually ( probably sooner then later) run into your truck smoking excessively, hard starting in cold temps, loss of power due to injector coking.

IMHO the best chance of success is to run a heated 2 tank system & start & stop on D2. You could still have problems running it that way though.

With the cost of D2 where it is now though if all I could get my hands on was WMO I would run it.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 PM

I think I've heard talk of the first strokes running filtered oil but never seen one. I think any of them will need injector service more often at the least
Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I ran wmo and wvo oil in my 7.3 without any problems in the summer and spring months. I have been running both in my 6.0 for about 4 months without any issues as well. Since the temps have dipped below 40 degrees I have only ran d2 for the past 2-3 months. I get used motor oil store it in a 55 gal drum and let it sit for about a week. Pump it out of the drum through a 30 micron filter into another tank before going through a heated centrifuge twice at 225 degrees. It is then pumped out of a storage tank through a 10 micron filter into my truck. I mix at about 50% and still have a noticable smoke and odor at idle. I have never had any injector or fuel filter issues because of running the wmo. I still change my filters every 10,000 miles same as when I ran straight d2. I drive mostly highway at speeds at or near 80. I dont let the truck sit and idle for long periods of time whick can lead to coking of the injector tips. Just my 2 cents and experiances with wmo.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
I ran wmo and wvo oil in my 7.3 without any problems in the summer and spring months. I have been running both in my 6.0 for about 4 months without any issues as well. Since the temps have dipped below 40 degrees I have only ran d2 for the past 2-3 months. I get used motor oil store it in a 55 gal drum and let it sit for about a week. Pump it out of the drum through a 30 micron filter into another tank before going through a heated centrifuge twice at 225 degrees. It is then pumped out of a storage tank through a 10 micron filter into my truck. I mix at about 50% and still have a noticable smoke and odor at idle. I have never had any injector or fuel filter issues because of running the wmo. I still change my filters every 10,000 miles same as when I ran straight d2. I drive mostly highway at speeds at or near 80. I dont let the truck sit and idle for long periods of time whick can lead to coking of the injector tips. Just my 2 cents and experiances with wmo.
do you use any fuel additive?
Thanks for the info Nathan
Old 04-25-2014, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

anyone checked out this site?

Diesel substitute, not biodiesel, black diesel fuel from motor oil dewatering filters
Old 04-25-2014, 06:41 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've seen three engines ('89 7.3 '04 6.0 and a 12 valve Cummings) overhauled that ran on a high ratio mixture of lube oil and diesel. The coke buildup on the rings and exhaust valves was shocking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-25-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
I've seen three engines ('89 7.3 '04 6.0 and a 12 valve Cummings) overhauled that ran on a high ratio mixture of lube oil and diesel. The coke buildup on the rings and exhaust valves was shocking.

you don't happen to have any pictures of them do you? I would love to see what they looked like
Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post

A water injection kit would have likely cured that.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
A water injection kit would have likely cured that.
There is a couple guys on the TDS running WMO(W85) & experimenting with WI. Their results was not so promising. Still have excessive smoke & coking injectors. WI can't hurt but it doesn't appear to completely eliminate the problem. There is one guy that claims propane injection has completely cured his smoking/coking issue.

Short of cracking it into D2 I expect that there will always be problems with running high % amounts of WMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
filtered oil, oil blend, waste oil use

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.