Bio Diesel Benefits - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bio Diesel Benefits

Are there any benefits to running biodiesel from the pump? What concentrations serve the trucks best? B5, B20, B50, B100?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 03:17 AM

environment and thats about it
Old 03-04-2014, 03:55 AM

I used to get B20 when I was on my 600 mile trips to TN. I actually liked it, because it made the truck run smoother (much more cetane rating). One thing is to make sure to change your fuel filter on a regular basis. Many people complain about Biodiesel, but often people don't understand you can't just poor vegetable oil down the truck. You have to get the glycerin out of the oil. Glycerin is what mainly clogs up the fuel system. Correctly made biodiesel is actually a great cleaner it removes gunk and deposit in the tank. This is why you have to change the fuel filter a couple of times when you start running biodiesel.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
environment and thats about it
And financial if you produce it yourself
Old 03-04-2014, 03:34 PM

One thing I would do if you do plan to run biodiesel is to do a regulated return aftermarket fuel pump and run two spin on filters to ensure your engine is getting clean diesel.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572ysc View Post
One thing I would do if you do plan to run biodiesel is to do a regulated return aftermarket fuel pump and run two spin on filters to ensure your engine is getting clean diesel.
Interesting. Please elaborate....
I can't think of any benefit to the above suggestion. Please, enlighten me.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Well,

when you go to a regulated return and aftermarket filteration/fuel pump. You are first getting rid of dead heading the #8 injector. In addition the spin on filters carry more filter volume over the stock filter, while having a better micron rating. On my setup, I am running a 2 micron post filter. (Less likely to clog up). Also, filters are cheaper when converting to a spin on setup.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Well,

when you go to a regulated return and aftermarket filteration/fuel pump. You are first getting rid of dead heading the #8 injector. In addition the spin on filters carry more filter volume over the stock filter, while having a better micron rating. On my setup, I am running a 2 micron post filter. (Less likely to clog up). Also, filters are cheaper when converting to a spin on setup.

That is good advice for any PSD, however, it if far from required to effectively burn biodiesel at any ratio. In fact, ASTM biodiesel is produced at a tighter spec than pump D2 in respect to water content and particulate contamination. Those with a fear of filter obstruction from burning ratios of biodiesel is generally unfounded when ASTM fuel quality standards are met, after the introductory period. The need to run myltiple filters, carry several extra filters for daily driving in basically just an Urban Myth if you will.

Biodiesel is a great detergent. It will remove accumulated algae and contaminates from your tank and lines which is normal to all diesel vehicles. What most find when their vehicle is introduced to biodiesel is a positive cleaning effect. Many recomend a B50 blend on the first tank full, then increase the ratio on second and third fill ups. It may be required that the stock filter be changed between the first and third tank, but from then on it is normaly to have trouble free driving from that point forward.

To summarize, Biodiesel users may experience filter obstruction in the first three tanks, and this generally is considered a positive effect. Significant fuel system modification (in operation temps above 32"F) is certainly not required or necessary and should not be done solely for the purpose of burning biodiesel, rather for performance or convience. The above applies to operation temps where biodiesel is practical.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:05 AM

Thats right I agree with. Just firgured it would be a good combo to run. Yes, as long as your biodiesel is produced correctly, it is better than regular diesel in my opinion. Many people just seem to believe that you can poor in whatever.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Thats right I agree with. Just firgured it would be a good combo to run. Yes, as long as your biodiesel is produced correctly, it is better than regular diesel in my opinion. Many people just seem to believe that you can poor in whatever.
thats because in a 7.3 you pretty much can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.