A funny thing happened today... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A funny thing happened today...

I had about 6 gallons of regular diesel in the tank and added 10 gallons of newly produced biodiesel. I figure the ratio was about 63% bio.

Anyway, the truck was running when I dumped the biodiesel in and seemed to idle fine. It even hi-idled to warm up. (It was about 45*F outside). Anyway, I got in the truck and started down the road. The damn thing ran like the truck was dragging a trailer load of safes with two flat tires. No power at all!

I drove straight to the filling station and topped off with dino diesel. Truck took about 13 gallons. So now my ratio is about 34% bio. I left the truck running while I filled up. I got back out on the highway and mashed the throttle. I got a HUGE black cloud and the truck took off like a raped ape.

WTF?

Think it was too cold for that much bio? The bio had been sitting outside all night in 5 gallon plastic cans. I didnt notice it being "thick", but it could have been, I guess.

What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Conservative and Proud

Old 10-30-2008, 06:11 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
How cold was it?? I cold point tested my bio in the freezer, and at 38 it starts to get the little waxy crystal looking things. So my weather mark is 40. Its been 35 here the last 3 nights, and with 7 gallons diesel and 21 gallons bio, the truck has done fine. No chages in starting, running, etc. I went ahead today and shoved 24 gallons bio down its throat to fill it to the neck, hoping what little diesel was left in there will do the trick. I will know in the morning! LOL!! As far as what you experienced, I dont have a clue. Sorry. Glad she "farted" and got the blockage outa the way. The bio sitting outside in the cold, was it still clear at those temps or did you look? Sometimes it will cloud again when it gets cold enough.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Emergency Services

I didnt notice any clouding, but I was dumping it through a black funnel, so I could have missed it. It seemed to be flowing ok, but now that I think about it, the biodiesel sort of "coated" the funnel like oil does.

I guess maybe I have answered my own question. I guess B50 is gonna be my absolute limit until spring.

At first I thought the filter was taking a dump, but I have only ran about 15 gallons thru with the max ratio being about 35% bio. But the filter would definately not clear up when i added dino diesel. Would it??

She seems to purring like a kitten now and I am getting a ton of power, so I am not too worried. Should I be?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

naw, no worries. i think you nailed it with the temp thing. what's the nighttime temps? remember liquids hold temps longer, so your oil might be cooler than you think. check your filter just in case it ruptured (not sure it could happen but you never know).
Old 11-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I was running commercial B99.9. It clogged my filter at 43 degrees. Switched to B50. Clogged the filter at 33 degrees. Currently have B20 in and my supplier is done with Biodiesel for the winter. I was going to do my on biodiesel production but am now considering a Vegistroke instead. If I need to build a heated system for the bio to get through the winter I might as well just go ahead and do a Vegiestroke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.