How not to overflow when filling your tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How not to overflow when filling your tank

I was filling up my 60 gallon toolbox RDS tank yest with veg, and my fuel gauge said it was nearly empty, so i thought 50 gallons would be good. Had a 50 gallon drum filled and was pumping it into the tank.

Right around 40-45 gallons, my tank was full and it started to overflow.

Do you guys have any tips on how to gauge the tank on how full it is while filling up? I know for the 55 gallon drums, you can buy those tubes that gauge the level, but how about while your filling up?

I put some sawdust on the oil, and bought some oil dry stuff from walmart. Cleaning up is no fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 07:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
1. Go to your local car wash, soak for about 10 minutes with engine degreaser.
2. Pressure wash towards the back until the oil is out
3. Repeat, and you should be back to normal.

As for filling, I listen to mine and when I can't hear it pouring anymore I pull the nozzle back and watch. Another thing you can do is go to the local boat supply and pick up a sight glass fuel gauge. You have to get one for the proper depth. Install on the top of the tank and you can watch it while you fill.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:54 AM

Like Justin said - I listen to it while filling. When I can't hear it splashing/sloshing around I stop and check it with a flashlight and then proceed slowly to top it off.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:30 AM

What are you using to fill it??? You could get a automatic nozzle if you have the money to blow. But if not just keep an eye on it. I have a 100 gallon tank and my pump fills it in about 3 - 5 minutes so I just sit there and listen to it.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Fire View Post
What are you using to fill it??? You could get a automatic nozzle if you have the money to blow. But if not just keep an eye on it. I have a 100 gallon tank and my pump fills it in about 3 - 5 minutes so I just sit there and listen to it.
I was thinking if we steal the pump off of one of the Brush trucks we could probably drain a tote in about 2 minutes or so...........
Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 AM

2000 gpm pumps on most of the trucks. I'll let you do the math, I'm not that smart. The Squad (a F550 that weighs 19,000 lbs so it's not allowed to work as a brush truck) has a 400 gpm pump. That 1.5 inch blue pump that I have will empty a tote in less than 5 minutes, so yes I have come close to having a couple hundred extra gallons of WVO in my bed and driveway
Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 AM

Yeh ive done it by sound before but this time i wasnt paying attention and luckily it was only a gallon or so that overflowed.

I was hoping someone knew of a way to do it without just the sound but with a visual device.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optx002 View Post
Yeh ive done it by sound before but this time i wasnt paying attention and luckily it was only a gallon or so that overflowed.

I was hoping someone knew of a way to do it without just the sound but with a visual device.
From Above:

Another thing you can do is go to the local boat supply and pick up a sight glass fuel gauge. You have to get one for the proper depth. Install on the top of the tank and you can watch it while you fill.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't know nuttin....

The RDS tanks used to have a gauge close to the filler neck to watch...do you not have any type of gauge?
Mine has a guage in the cab so i just watch it and when it gets to 7/8 full i pull the nozzel up, release the lock and slow the flow and watch inside the fill hole and when i see the oil within an inch of the top, i stop. Its a learning curve, anyone who is doing this has or will overflow there tank at some point...i have already done it.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:26 AM

No gauge on my tank. RDS also forgot to put the aluminum adaptors for the diesel return line and didnt include the fuel pickup tube and aluminum adaptor for the fuel pickup on my tank. I had DFA overnight the fuel pickup, then realized on day 2 of the install the barb fitting for the diesel return line wouldnt fit because it was also missing the adaptor.

Oh well. Ill jsut have to be more careful next time. Washing it out is a pain because I have a cab on my bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.