Biodiesel causing injector o-ring problems? Hoses in a 96' 7.3l good to go? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Biodiesel causing injector o-ring problems? Hoses in a 96' 7.3l good to go?

I have a 1996 7.3l that I'd like to run biodiesel in. We have a ASTMD compliant source of the stuff near us, so quality shouldn't be an issue.

I asked my mechanic about wanting to switch, and he said the injector o-rings might need to be serviced after to the tune of ~ $500 I think. Something about how they adjust to a certain fuel type, and that the engine can start to run poorly when you switch. Made it sounds like a one-time deal, but something that could crop up again if we switch back to petro on a long trip or something.

Has anyone heard or experienced this before? Anyone out there running B95 in a circa 1996 7.3l with good results?

I'm also wondering if there are any hoses that would need replacement first, and whether I could do fuel filter replacements myself without much experience working on autos.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

he has a very valid point but your truck will be fine. Changing the fuel filter on your truck is also extremely easy. The only hoses if any that would need replaced would be the filler cap to tank lines as the rest are metal but even the filler cap hose you are talking easily over 1,000 gallons of biodiesel before you would even be concerned to check them.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, erbilabuc. Any idea what the chances of needing injector work after starting bio are?
Old 01-31-2014, 03:41 AM

about no chance whatsoever as long as the fuel is clean and from a reputable source
Old 02-01-2014, 05:23 AM

Many 7.3's have run hundreds of thousands of miles on good quality BIO with no problems. As long as your sure the Bio you will be using is good quality I wouldn't hesitate to run it. I have been starting & stopping on Bio & have had no problems other then changing the fuel filter which is to be expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.