Biodiesel In New Trucks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 03:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Biodiesel In New Trucks

If biodiesel is so much cleaner and better for the environment and has better lubricity for the injectors, then why are all the truck manufactures only covering our warranties with a B5 blend?

I have a , and what they are saying is that biodiesel could cause mechanical failure if more than B5 is used. Even though you purchase it from a commercial producer and meets the ASTM standards??

Model years 2003 to 2008. Does anyone know why>?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've asked about this in the past. I've been told B50 is the limit if you have a particle filter and catalitic converter. If you remove these and reprogram the on board computer so that it doesn't attmpt to clean the now non existent filter, you can go to B100. Personally, I'm about to start running Bio in my 2008. I'll start at B5 and push it to B50 and see what happens.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTaz View Post
I've asked about this in the past. I've been told B50 is the limit if you have a particle filter and catalitic converter. If you remove these and reprogram the on board computer so that it doesn't attmpt to clean the now non existent filter, you can go to B100. Personally, I'm about to start running Bio in my 2008. I'll start at B5 and push it to B50 and see what happens.
Well let me know how it goes, it seems like not even the dealerships can answer that question. I thought there were retired ford mechanics on here?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:49 PM

I would bet the limit is due to all the half a$$ homebrewers. if the fuel is made to standard there should not be any issues, but if the bio is partially reacted or is full of soap you are basicly lighting the fuse. Ford can not deeni your warrenty unless they can prove the damage was caused by the bio, you can only push the issue as deep as your pocket are and ford knows this.bio produces less soot which makes me think that it would be much better for EGR valves, catylic converters and the DPF on the new trucks. trust me my beloved "smoke" file on my Dp Tuner isn't worth a flying turd with bio it just plain will not smoke
Old 10-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sciulli
The other big issue is the fact that there isnt a huge national push for biodiesel. See biodiesle is like diesel but since its made from organic sources(opposed to refined hydrocarbons) its self life is far less and its more susceptable to retainign suspeneded water and other things of that nature. Biodiesle is still slightly different than good old no.2 pump diesel... its slightly more dense. If you fill up with diesel and biodiesel eventuall the bio will sink to the bottom. They mixfairly good but they will seperate out.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 PM

Biodiesel in New Trucks(update)

Here's an update posted in a magazine, good reading,

Disadvantages of biodiesel
*Could harm certain elastomers (seals)*Has poor resistance to oxidation, especially when blended with ULSD. This results in spoilage and the formation of acids and varnishes*Biodiesel can absorb much more water than mineral diesel*Has lower energy content
Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

biodiesel EGR and catalytic converters

i have an f250 2008. i live in africa and we do not have ultra low sulfur diesel so I decided to use biodiesel for my truck. It was running ok even though the mileage was terrible. Then I had a problem and the engine died. I towed it and then found the oil was mixed with diesel. i ran the truck bor about 2000 miles and during that time had to change the EGR valve twice as it cracked and got full of carbom. So my truck has 3000 miles on it and the engine is cooked and am not sure where the diesel got into the oil.

I am thinking of buying a 2006 engine to put in there so I can use the high sulfur diesel and since we do not have any emission controls in here I would like to know what to do if I wanted to get rid of my catalytic converter or whatever it is that makes my engine want only Ultra low sulfur.

i would be grateful if anyone can help.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfumes View Post
Here's an update posted in a magazine, good reading,

Disadvantages of biodiesel
*Could harm certain elastomers (seals)*Has poor resistance to oxidation, especially when blended with ULSD. This results in spoilage and the formation of acids and varnishes*Biodiesel can absorb much more water than mineral diesel*Has lower energy content
Full Story

Biodiesel VS. Your Warranty - Diesel Power Magazine
Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

biodiesel has a higher evaporation temp, so when your comp. in your 2008 spits fuel to the regen process. there is a greater chance you get fuel in your oil. I don't know enough to explain what I'm talking about but this is what I read somewhere. I'll look for it and post it.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:22 AM

higher evaporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonbuilt View Post
biodiesel has a higher evaporation temp, so when your comp. in your 2008 spits fuel to the regen process. there is a greater chance you get fuel in your oil. I don't know enough to explain what I'm talking about but this is what I read somewhere. I'll look for it and post it.
I have an 2003 6.0, and it also always gets fuel dumped into the oil. When I change the oil, I always have more oil than what I've put in it.

Also, if it evaporates at a higher temp, it sounds like all the junk(probably more soot,more carbon build up) will be built up on the inside of the engine....??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.