Fuel Roundup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Roundup

Ok, just as a forewarning, this is my first post here, but I'm not new to the topic of alternative diesel fuels; I have done quite a bit of lurking around here already.

So this evening I went in search of a WVO supply and was unsuccessful. It seems like everyone is getting their oil picked up by a company called Sanimax. So what is my next move? Do I contact Sanimax and inquire?

I have also noticed a lot of people talking about their supplies getting stolen. Is this pretty common? Is it getting stolen at the restaurants or from their setups at home/shop/etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

my buckets just got jacked from my Chinese place! This is my only steady source. I get 5 or so gal a week from them. They dump the fryer into a 5 gal bucket that I provide them and put it outside the door. I come and grab the bucket once a week and give them a new one. I usually have 2 there at a time. I went last friday and both my buckets were gone! someone jacked them! The owner is out of town at the moment so Ill ask him about it next week when he gets back

Yes you are right, the hardest part of this "project" is getting oil!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I found the number for this grease company. Sounds like they would be willing to accommodate me, but it would be .30/lb, so roughly $2.25/gal for UNFILTERED, raw WVO. Ouch!

Maybe it's worth trying to buy away a few of the businesses who sell to them. My only problem then is that I HAVE to take all of it. I could get myself in some deep crap if I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 AM

there is some yahoo in plano trying to sell WVO for 2.50 a gal too. I told him i would buy it at the going rate of 50 cents a gal like about every place i have talked to is getting. He said no. I did fine one small shop that is giving me their oil for free but they only use about 15 gal a month. i need to find a place that will give me 20 gal a week or more!
Old 10-07-2008, 03:02 PM

I read that lots of people getting their cans taken or cant find sources....my problem is that i am collecting to much oil. I ate at a few places and instead of doing a sales pitch I asked the owner or manager what they fry their food in and if it is the type of oil i want I ask them what they do with it after they use it and once they tell me they throw it out I ask if i could get alittle....they are curious now and once i explain i use it for fuel in my truck they are very interested and more than willing to help me....my places have oil so clean it looks unused....however before eating or asking anyplace I check out the dumpster in the back and that helps me sum up their oil .......
Old 10-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ken: I envy you, haha! Good idea about taking a different approach. The only problem I have is that literally EVERY restaurant in my area gets their grease picked up by this one company. Even the college I attend, which is 30 miles away, gets their oil picked up by these guys.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I am getting my oil from a college. They too have a renderer picking up their oil. When I offered to take it off their hands at no charge they were quite happy to work with me. I have a 325 gallon tank on site that they put my oil in with a screen strainer in the manway. They go through about 150 gals per week, sometimes up to 200. I have a trailer setup with a 200 gal tank and a 2" waste water pump that empties it out in a few minutes. It's how you approach them. Often times when they find out you are using it for fuel they are happy to work with you. I'm fortunate in that my tank is inside the loading dock at the dining hall so I don't have to worry about it getting ripped off.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 AM

Pgreen-
How did you go about landing the school? how did you approach them? and who did you talk to? I was thinking about hitting up the local hospitals and schools but who do you talk to? just walk up to someone there and ask can I talk to the boss?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 PM

there are lots of places to get oil.....
look around and look for catering places, chic-flla, small mom and pop places....you have to understand that the larger chains get paid for their oil and the smaller ones have to pay to get rid of their oil...so all you have to do is go in and eat a couple of times so they start knowing who you are and then hit them up....but be sure to check their dumpster first before asking...nothing is as bad as asking for oil and then turning them down after they say yes....
Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 PM

I always look for Mexican restaurants. They cook mostly tortillas and no frozen product so it is virtually water free. I've also noticed that most aren't willing to pay for disposal and are doing so illegally and are more than happy to give to me. It also helps if you habla espanol.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.