Is B-100 as energy density as petro diesel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 06:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is B-100 as energy density as petro diesel?

Is B-100 as energy density as petro diesel?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 06:08 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Sorry. Do not understand what you are asking.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Just wondering how much energy is in it

I was unable to find a rating for how it compares to petro diesel? I am wondering if it has more, less, or the same energy. Also how it compares in other ways. I have seen it take about twice the heat to light off. 150 verse 300 degrees for bio.

All in all, i am committed to the fuel, but I am trying to understand it. I have read about the positive EPA/pollution properties.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 06:30 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
I dont know about the ratings or the comparible flash points. I make my own and run it full strength(100%). Yes the power is down somewhat, but the loss in power vs. the savings. I can deal with a little power loss.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

bio has about 12,000 BTUs less per litre than petro. this means it produces less heat which means less energy. if you run b100 expect to be down on power about 2% which is barely noticable.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:20 PM

2% difference?

Is that a 2% difference in heat? If so what is the difference you see in horsepower, mileage, etc?

What is the difference in EGT?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=OhioRiverCigarette;768243]Is that a 2% difference in heat? If so what is the difference you see in horsepower, mileage, etc?

Thanks[/QUOTE

it may not be 2% on the nose it may be more or less depending on your mods. in the truck in my sig at hiway cruise I see about 500* egt running bio and on the dyno I went from 462Hp on petro to 447hp on bio without the spray.I'm not 100% sure about the numbers but I think petro diesel has like 28,000 BTU per litre and bio has like 17 or 18,000 btu per litre the actual cetane # for bio is quite a bit higher than petro which in a way makes up for the BTU loss. as far as milage is concerned, who cares I make bio for like .80 a gallon but for those who do care my milage dropped from about 19 mpg to 16 mpg in a 2006 6.0, in the sig truck I havn't checked it
Old 09-30-2008, 05:23 AM
Premium Member

[QUOTE=mako314;768304]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiverCigarette View Post
Is that a 2% difference in heat? If so what is the difference you see in horsepower, mileage, etc?

Thanks[/QUOTE

it may not be 2% on the nose it may be more or less depending on your mods. in the truck in my sig at hiway cruise I see about 500* egt running bio and on the dyno I went from 462Hp on petro to 447hp on bio without the spray.I'm not 100% sure about the numbers but I think petro diesel has like 28,000 BTU per litre and bio has like 17 or 18,000 btu per litre the actual cetane # for bio is quite a bit higher than petro which in a way makes up for the BTU loss. as far as milage is concerned, who cares I make bio for like .80 a gallon but for those who do care my milage dropped from about 19 mpg to 16 mpg in a 2006 6.0, in the sig truck I havn't checked it

All these #s are within a few percentage of each other. Based on just plain energy value, diesel fuel is ~130,000 BTU/gal and 40 cetane compression ignition point is ~225F , bio is ~125,000 BTU/gal anywhere from 49-62cetane based on feedstock and a varying compression flash point of 270-410F
So energy wise thats 3.8% less energy. which proven on the dyno comes out to 3.2% power loss. On the road fuel economy wise 19 to 16mpg, is a 15% loss. But the extra 11.2% loss comes from the high cetane being that it takes more heat to light, therefore delaying the power. An economy tune with advanced timing would reduce this loss, but unless you get the exact same oil and have it tested, you should error to safe side and leave timing alone.
On the dyno, you are essentially seeing a direct relation of energy, running hot and in the power on the dyno, the cetane isnt a factor. But at normal highway speeds, and lower internal temps, you see a greater loss. But in my book if its $.80 vs $3.90 you could have a 79.41717% reduction in fuel economy, and you are still saving $ vs pulling up to the pump TASTES LIKE CHICKEN!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sciulli
Bio has about 10% less BTU/ volume than regular no.2 fuel oil.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:37 AM

I read that B100 was 8% less than dino. I ran B100 for aboiut 2 months and the mileage droppped from 18 to 15 but it was real quiet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.