Kinda confused, I have been running SVO.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Kinda confused, I have been running SVO..

Hello everybody, I am kinda confused to the fact everywhere I read says people convert there systems over to 2 tanks for SVO/WVO. I live in Northern Michigan where it does get cold. But during the summer months I run SVO that has been run thru a processor, it is extremely clean. Here is my dilemma, for the months when the outside temp gets above 50 degrees, I pour it directly into my tank. I do not premix or dilute it with anything. I run 100% right outta my tank. I have not yet had any problems. (Knock on wood). Somebody enlighten me why I am so different. Oh ya I have a 2002 7.3 f250.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The only reason you have not reached a catastrophic failure thus far is because you have not burned enough yet.

However, it is coming. With your method, look forward to valvetrain, injector, and and a host of other PITA issues. Including, but not limited to

Pump failure
Plugged in tank filter
poly in stock steel lines
degraded FPR
plugged stock check valves
delaminated fuel filters
coking on injector nozzle/tip
water damage in injector barrel
coking in piston cup
ring coking
leaking valve seats
broken push rods
premature main/cam bearing failures from engine oil cotamination
Old 12-29-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
The only reason you have not reached a catastrophic failure thus far is because you have not burned enough yet.

However, it is coming. With your method, look forward to valvetrain, injector, and and a host of other PITA issues. Including, but not limited to

Pump failure
Plugged in tank filter
poly in stock steel lines
degraded FPR
plugged stock check valves
delaminated fuel filters
coking on injector nozzle/tip
water damage in injector barrel
coking in piston cup
ring coking
leaking valve seats
broken push rods
premature main/cam bearing failures from engine oil cotamination
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:54 PM

Veggin is right. You WILL eventually end up with problems. Many have ruined engines doing exactly what you are doing.

You have two choices. Convert the fuel(biodiesel) then you can run it with no conversion or install a quality 2 tank conversion & burn SVO. If you live in a cold climate I suggest SVO cause you can burn that 100% all year round. Minus startup & shutdown time.

A quality DIY conversion will cost approx $2000 -$2500 & a kit will run you as much as $4000. The problems Veggin has listed could easily cost you 5 grand perhaps more worst case.

What are you using for a processor? Are you dewatering as well as filtering??
Old 12-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So basically in a nut shell because I am running the oil at not the right temp, I am looking at a catasraphic failure?
As for the processer, the water does get evaporated off by air and heat and a aggitator, also I don't know what it is called exactly but it gets washed with lye and alcohol also.
I guess any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to hurt my motor. The truck does run pretty good and likes the clean veggie oil. Oil changes look great, no smoking out the exhaust .
Old 12-30-2013, 03:00 AM

Basically, yes. Starting your engine on oil that's at ambient temps will make the oil smoke, leave sooty deposits inside your cylinders (coking), and then a valve or piston rings stop fully seating. If it's your rings, you'll eventually have veggie oil blow-by and SVO in your crankcase with your engine oil. SVO + engine oil + heat and pressure = Playdoh.

t just so happens I have a two-tank conversion system for sale (see sig).

Last edited by Snake; 12-30-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trone12 View Post
As for the processer, the water does get evaporated off by air and heat and a aggitator, also I don't know what it is called exactly but it gets washed with lye and alcohol also.
HOLD THE PHONE!
What I think you are running is Biodiesel.
Alcohol combined with lye (NaOH or KOH) is methoxide. Methoxide combined with heated oil creates glycerol. When the glycerol is removed, what remains is biodiesel.

You mentioned "dried", thus you lead me to believe you are describing water wash.

Find out the specifics from wherever you get this "fuel". If the person you get it from says it is in fact B100, I can hook you up with youtube videos of a couple simple tests to see how good of fuel you have.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:03 AM

Keep in mind, qualiy B100 can be run as low as 32'F without issue in a PSD. By adding 20% D2, you can go as low as 20'F in most instances.

Quality B100 is perfectly harmless to be run in a 2002 PSD without modification when temps permit, in fact they LOVE it! It is a clean burning, low odor alternative fuel. In fact I made the switch from WVO to B100 over two years ago, and will NEVER run a drop of WVO again. From my experience, B100 is a MUCH better fuel. Burns clean. Runs strong and easy to handle. I feel it is MUCH safer to the engine especially in very cold temps. I run it year round. I will be driving to work today on B100 in my VW on B100 (fully converted) as the current air temp is -22F, and the high today will not be above zero. That could not be safely done on VO, at least I never could, and believe me when I say that I tried. The advantage to B100 is that it needs only to be heated to a temp above 32'F, compared to WVO at 160'F. Heating b100 to flowing temps is a snap. VO, not so much.

Check with wherever you are sourcing your fuel from. We can get you running it safely.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will get back with you guys tonight. I will see my fuel source gentleman today. Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All that worry for nothing. At least I am a little smarter now on what goes thru my motor and the differences in fuel types. I do run B100 biodiesel thru my truck. I feel a lot smarter now with the help of people's knowledge on these forums. Thanks everybody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.