WVO filtration setup pics!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WVO filtration setup pics!!!

Here it is finally fellas, and gals! My filtration setup for WVO. I basiclly copied Clay and his frybrid setup.. I would like to take the time to thank Chenry (clay) from here for his help with all of this. I'd also like to thank my buddy Greg for all his help, he's been a life saver.

The system is a 50 gallon HWH, with a stainless steel heating element. All the fittings are Stainless Swagelock. The tubing is all stainless steel as well. The bulkhead fitting that is now on the blue barrel is also Swagelock. The only thing not stainless is the valves. I only had 3 stainless swagelock valves, and my OCD wouldn't let me put three on and three standard valves, so I just used all standard valves. I have about $70 invested into this. I paid for the pump and the heating element, the rest was all freebies, including the swagelock hardware.... it helps to know people...

So here she is:

Here's the drain on the bottom of the tank, and the lines that run to the pump as well as the wiring for the lower element, notice the valve on the right going no where, this will eventually lead to the holding tank:

Here's a pic of the top element blocked off and wired around it...

Here's a pic of the top of the HWH. I will more than likely be removing the filter on top and placing a clear flex hose that leads back to the storage tank, this way if it overflows for whatever reason, it just overflows back in to the holding tank, just like Clay has it now:

Here's a pic from the side, it shows the filter housing that Greg made for me. It is mostly made from stainless steel, except for the lid which is aluminum, all professionally machined, and accepts a trade 4 bag filter. I'll have to snap a pic of the inside next time I get a chance.

Another pic:

better pic of the filter housing:

Another pic of the housing:

That's right, it's a custom made DamnKids Motorsports stainless steel filter housing!!!

What the entire setup should look like, though the blue barrel will be sitting higher (so that the oil self feeds to the pump, not a self priming pump)

Here's a pic of the top of the barrel, we cut a hole in, and dropped in this pan, also cut a hole in that. I have some old window screen I'm going to mount in there and probably double or triple layer it. This will prefilter before going into the holding tank, and it will also be reusable:

EDIT: Also, the clear hose coming off the bottom of the tank, where the drain is on the HWH, held on with duct tape... that isn't permanent. I filled the tank in the garage with water and then realized I had no where to drain it so I rigged that up.

Ok here's the remaining pics, of how it currently sits. It's on cinder blocks for the time being, I'm constructing steel stands for everything...

Last edited by mdub707; 09-15-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 06:10 AM

Looks good. I would definetely remove that filter and run a hose back to your pre-filter barrel. It isn't a matter of if but when it will overflow. Keep in mind the oil is going to expand when heated so leave room for expansion untill you get that return line hooked up. Might want to check out some of the pre-filter strainers you can buy online. They come in various micron ratings and they are only like $5 and seem to last forever. Might be easier than screwing with all that screen. Good luck with your first batch!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Yes, you will have a Valdeze spill on your floor if you leave that filter up on top...i did twice.
Also the window screen isn't realy small enough to catch much...if you want to expand on that, use pantyhose in conjunction with that window screen. Those are not to pricy and if your other half ever has some to toss out, just use those.stretch it across the screen somehow and the screen will hold it up to prevent it from stretching out and it will catch alot of the smaller stuff.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 AM
I don't know nuttin....

You might alos keep an eye out for a clear plastic (white) barrel to replace that blue one in the future...its nice to be able to see how much is in it at a glance rather than havin got look down inside. I started off with a blue one also but soon replaced it with a white one.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks guys. I already am planning on taking the filter off, I just put it on for now. I'm just waiting for my buddy to get me the barb fitting for the hose. Clay, I already have a white barrel sitting outside right now, just ended up using this one, it wont bother me to look inside so I'll probably just keep this for now.

I do need to work on the prefiltering as you said, I realized the window screen wont catch enough, but it does catch the big crap. I will probably just buy a large drum top filter. I like that idea better. Clay you use something like a 200 micron one correct?

I already made my first batch fellas. I'm filtering for a buddy who bought a vegistroke, but doesn't have a way to filter oil. We're doing our processes exactly opposite, he's got the kit, I got the filter setup.... DOH!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:18 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Yes i use a 200 micron screen in the barrel. I was thinking of trying a 400 micron but the place i order those didn't have them in stock last time i looked.
the 200 plugs fast usually and keeps me from finishing a batch when it plugs and i have to leave it for several hours to slowely drip through. 200 micron maybe overkill...The prefilter barrel will settle out alot of the larger stuff so using a larger screen will only mean i will have to clean the crud out of the barrel sooner but as it is, i havn't had to clean it in over a year.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Yes i use a 200 micron screen in the barrel. I was thinking of trying a 400 micron but the place i order those didn't have them in stock last time i looked.
the 200 plugs fast usually and keeps me from finishing a batch when it plugs and i have to leave it for several hours to slowely drip through. 200 micron maybe overkill...The prefilter barrel will settle out alot of the larger stuff so using a larger screen will only mean i will have to clean the crud out of the barrel sooner but as it is, i havn't had to clean it in over a year.

My buddy who helped with the construction of this system is coming over this weekend for a few brews, I'm going to talk with him and see what we can come up with for a progressive pre-filter. Have it go through say the window screen first, then through a 400 micron filter barrel top, then a 200 micron one...

I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:31 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
My buddy who helped with the construction of this system is coming over this weekend for a few brews, I'm going to talk with him and see what we can come up with for a progressive pre-filter. Have it go through say the window screen first, then through a 400 micron filter barrel top, then a 200 micron one...
I'll see what I can come up with.
3 times the trouble...not nessecary IMO
Just get you one 200 micron or 1 400 micron and let the settling heater do the rest for you...thats what its for. The prefilter barrel and screen was my design added to the Frybrid still and maybe overkill in itself. When i first started doing this, i went directly from the cubies to the HWH and all worked fine. I did see more sedimate when i drained off the bottom few gallons. The barrel had a different purpose all together when i added it...before i had the barrel, i sucked the oil out of the cubies with the same line that now sucks if brom the barrel...this was a little mess as i would drip vegi when i pulled the hose out to go to the next cubie. I then decided it would be easier to pour these into something and then pump 50 gallons at once. And the barrel idea was born. Then i decided i should catch someo of the large crud with a strainer. I started with a 100 micron strainer...way overkill and oil poured through it way too slow. So i went to the 200 micron - remember, all your trying to catch is french fryes and large crumbs maybe 2-3 mm in size, the rest will settle out after heated and what doens't settle out gets pollished through the filter.
Don't over think this, let the HWH and gravity do its job.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Ask yourself why your prescreening this oil.
My answer is to keep a large french fry out of my pump...but actually my pump is probably robust enough to pump gravel up hill. Just don't want to find out.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 AM
I don't know nuttin....

here is where i order my strainers...this is the cheapest place i have found and i am going to look to see if my local paint store has something like it.
They list a 400 micron but i tryed yesturday to order one and it said they were out of stock but if i were you, thats what i would use. That peanut butter lookin goil you have will not flow through a 200 micron strainer very fast at all...especially when it gets colder this winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.