Engine Dying on WVO - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Dying on WVO

99PSD, 4" TBE, Hypertech, recent conversion to WVO.

I have a 60 gallon bed tank heated with coolant to 185, and a ford stock switching block and switch to run over on WVO.

My engine runs rough as hell on WVO, idles slow, smokes white and dies. I have tried 3 kinds of veggie and it hasnt helped. New oil from sams did the same thing.

I think it is a fuel pressure issue, or I am getting air in the fuel line with the WVO, as the manual states that white smoke is a sign of air in fuel.

I replaced my stock pump, and would like to put an aux. pump at the bed tank to help it along. I can't find a good one anywhere (I've been looking online for 3 days straight now.....RRRRGH) and was wondering if anyone here has had similar suggestions and/or problems.

Oh, and the hydrogen thing works like a charm. I have one on my gas F150 and one on the F350. Love 'em.

DWC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Aux fuel pump would be a good idea also change your fuel filters, WVO acts like a detergent, cleans out the fuel system. You may have to change out filters 2 or 3 times before its cleaned up.

Another question is are you filtering/dewatering your WVO?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dave,
WVO is filtered to one micron and run through h2o separator. I buy it processed from a company in my industrial park. I also tried using new oil from sams that had the seals on it with the same result.

The white smoke led me to think water in fuel, but there is no water in the separator and the manual, like I said, states that air in fuel is a cause of white smoke.

I was thinking that the bed tank was too far away to draw effectively with the stock pump and it might be cavitating, resulting in air in the fuel.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a Walbro or similar pump that I can mount on my external tank that will be compatible with my stock FP.

the stock FP has a rating of 46-51PSI at idle, and I have NO idea what the GPH rating is. I would think that a similar GPH pump with lower PSI would be fine, as the stock would then ramp the fuel pressure up to where it needs to be, and the Walbro could handle the extra distance.

I'm stumped on this one........
Old 09-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
White smoke is also a sign of incomplete combustion. If I switch over to WVO before the engine reaches temp it will run rough and blow white.

What are your other heat sources? Are you depending only on the in-tank heater? You should have some sort of heat exchanger in line before the stock pump if you choose to run a single pump/dual feed setup. The stock pump is not designed to push the viscosity of WVO.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:25 PM

Also, the cleaning properties mentioned only apply to Bio Diesel because of the presence of methanol.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Did you buy a kit to run WVO? You should be running a Fass pump because of the oil viscosity, the stock pump wont push it very well.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Agree. You should actually be running a two pump system. With a single pump you can't purge, and your return line is constantly pumping WVO back to your diesel tank.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey - There is a Guy named Orin Kleinburger in the Smyrna area who may be able to help. BTW - I'm in ATL and may need to buy some oil, who are you buying yours from and at what cost?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have just ordered in a VegTherm electric inline heater from Plantdrive.com, and another pump to help things along. I also changed to a 203 degree thermostat. Oil is 184 in rear tank per my laser thermometer.
Pump and inline heater go in next week, I'll let everyone know what happens afterwards.
I buy my oil filtered to 1 micron and separated for $2.50/Gallon, delivered to my shop. A guy in my industrial complex has a rendering company and resells his grease.
Would the addition of a fuel pressure gauge be of any help? I can slap an autometer on there pretty easily, and it might give me an idea of what the hell is going on when I switch over.
The switching block is a stock ford switch block, and has a looped return. The system purges in about 15 seconds of running, and I've had no issue with veg oil in the diesel.
- DWC
Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

FUELAB Digital Fuel Delivery -

Big mammer jammer.Not sure on the WVO pumping ability but worth a shot.I have ran 50/50 mixes of WVO/Diesel through my 150/180 FASS but it don't like it neither.I was told it isn't good for the pump.The 95 version is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.