Need help identifying electrical part - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help identifying electrical part

I recently bought a 2002 F-250 with a VegMax system (the original, not VegMax II I believe). I'm trying to leave for a trip on Monday and unfortunately the system is not currently working and there was a draw on the battery. The mechanic tracked it down to a relay in this box. It's light gray and about 3"x2". Three wires come out of it. A heavy gauge red wire, a heavy gauge brown wire (both 6 gauge maybe?) and a smaller black wire (12-16 gauge maybe?). I couldn't tell where the wires go yet. I'm going to look again in the morning when it is light out. Can anyone identify the box?

The relay is obviously bad since the coil is obviously broken. The relay was made by Fitre and is an HR-AMR-T. The specs I found are in this pdf (obvious PDF warning) on page 5/6. It lists the relay as having three versions. Two versions are Single Pole Single Throw (one normally open and the other normally closed) and the other is Single Pole Double throw. Does anyone have any idea how to identify which version it is? If it was working I could test it, but then again, if it was working I wouldn't need to.

EDIT: Does anyone have a schematic for the original VegMax system?

Last edited by kiltedwonder; 12-14-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

can't u just trace the wires or are u sure it's part of the Vegi ? EDIT it looks like your saying this is why the Veg system does not work ??
looks like a trigger wire and a relay to brake the connection
so single pole single throw IDK if it is NO or NC and like you I couldn't find squat on a google

the switch side would be one wire if it used the voltage from the line side as a +

but that doesn't explain the rest of the components in the box so IDK ?? maybe the small wire is just an indicator light and the box is some kind of automatic control ??

The Following User Says Thank You to ZMANN For This Useful Post:
kiltedwonder (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the confusion. The box is definitely not stock. It is tied into the wiring for the veg system. I can take better pics in the morning if it would help.

I picked it up this week and will be putting my first long mileage on it starting monday. The veggie oil system appeared to be working (fuel pump comes on and the VoControl shows info), but when I drove it ~60 miles today the fuel gauge continued to creep down. The mechanic who looked at it before I bought it said that the relay was causing the draw. The temporary fix was to just unplug the fuses overnight. My guess is that the two issues are related, but that may be an incorrect assumption.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to de-solder the relay and see if I can figure out which version it is. If I feel confident enough, I'll try jumping the leads with a switch so I can turn it on manually and see what happens.

That reminds me of something I forgot to ask in the original post. Does anyone have a schematic for the VegMax system? I can probably get one from Plant Drive this week, but that means I won't be able to use it for diagnosis until after I get back from the trip.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:14 PM

sorry for the limited input I am curious more than helpful LOL

that component almost looks like a timer ?

what do you think it does ? heater ?

I would guess it's a normally open relay if I had to guess
Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 PM

looks like it may be like this part ?? they don't have a pic though

NADA Controller [SKU16242] - $199.00 : PlantDrive™, WVO, SVO vegetable oil fuel system, gas alternative, biodiesel, California
Old 12-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My guess is that it controls which fuel source is supplying fuel, but that is just a guess.

The timer guess could be a good one. I hadn't thought about that. The timer seems to work, but it could be doing the timing properly, but not actually switching because the relay is bad.

I found a video of the NADA Controller. It's different, but mine could be an earlier version.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dug into it some more today. Somehow in the dark I didn't look at the back of the box. There are some labels on it, but google isn't being helpful.

I pulled the cover off and forced the relay into the opposite position, but couldn't find any change in the operation. It was definitely making an electrical connection though. I noticed a small spark as I closed it a few times.

I did a bit of poking around, but didn't have as much time as I would have liked. The brown wire comes straight through a fuse from the battery. The red goes back under the cab, but I couldn't follow it without a whole lot of digging. The black wire becomes red and goes into a relay that is up by my battery. There are five or six wires that go into it and I'm pretty sure it isn't a stock relay.

I'm going to be on the road tomorrow and tuesday, so I probably won't be able to respond until then and certainly won't be able to do any major digging until later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gray box, vegmax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.