wvo system purge rules - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wvo system purge rules

hello all!

great input and topics as always.

i have made about 700gal of biodiesel, but not a drop in my 2000f350. all has gone into the home furnace.

i live in victoria, it is very temperate, much like seattle.

i am going to get a vegiestroke or a plant drive system soon as it is the increased cost of methanol and the obvious potential health risks that have made me want to run wvo.

one thing i understand is that the fule lines need to be purged before shut down. is this true for stop adn go shopping.

ie i drive 15 miles to go to a store and have been burning veggie. i stop at a store for proably 15 minutes before i get back in and go to either another store or back home. do i need to purge at this stop or can i simply shutoff adn then restart as i do now?

i understand temperature is the main factor, so dead o fwinter maybe 32f or 0 c is a purge situation, but when our lows are rarely below 6c or about 45 f is is it necessary

thankls

B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Speaking for my own system, I don't purge unless I think the engine temp and veg temp will fall below accectable limits. I.e 160*f engine and veg oil temp.

Hope this helps
Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 PM

That makes me welcome global warming.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

If the coolant temp isnt going to drop below 150-160 I wont purge or let it run shutdown cycle. When I go to class I will shut the truck off for 2-3 hours on WVO, and when I come out it will start up and the coolant will still be at 140-150, but thats also because its 100f in the summer down here. The block holds alot of heat and keeps the injectors toasty warm that I have had no issues or even notice any startup difference.

You are wasting valuable $$$ the longer you wait to buy a Vegistroke. Every drop of dino you put in your truck is money you are wasting waiting to buy, it and its not going to get any cheaper. Also plan on waiting at least 2-3 weeks just to ship, DFA has been backed up for months now.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
With the Vegistroke, I just drive like I normally would on diesel...short trips or long trips. That's one of the great things about the system - it's all automatic. Just get in the truck and go...let the system do it's thing.

This time of year, it only takes a few minutes before mine is up to temp and switched over. And if I shut it down when it's up to temp and restart it, the V3 kicks back on almost instantly.

Works like a champ!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 PM

How does the V3 vegestroke know when you are parking the truck for a length of time or when you are at your destination?

What is the purge procedure?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Purge everytime you stop or eventually you will get distracted and forget you have not purged and it will cool down...in winter this means a no start.
with the V3 a purge uses 2 oz of diesel meaning several purges can be done before you even use one gal. of diesel.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
How does the V3 vegestroke know when you are parking the truck for a length of time or when you are at your destination?

What is the purge procedure?

I just spit copenhagen all over the screen....

Marv, would you answer this, i have way to many smart azz answers flashing around in my head.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Purge everytime you stop or eventually you will get distracted and forget you have not purged and it will cool down...in winter this means a no start.
with the V3 a purge uses 2 oz of diesel meaning several purges can be done before you even use one gal. of diesel.

Forgeting to purge my system will not create a "no start" at any time of the year. Where I live winter means below zero. It will start if you forget but it makes for a smokey, difficult start. This I can tell you from experience.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post

I just spit copenhagen all over the screen....

Marv, would you answer this, i have way to many smart azz answers flashing around in my head.

I'd expect nothing less from you, Clay.......The poster claims the V3 is fully automated. Does this mean that it knows when you should purge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.