My bio experience so far - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My bio experience so far

So far I have put about 500 miles on my truck running my home made bio. The first 350 ish miles I ran about a 30% blend. The next 150 miles I have ran a 50% blend. So far my truck runs great. Actually it runs much better than running #2 and 1oz/gal 2 stroke like I did for about 5k miles. Over the past few days I have noticed sounds that before I did not hear. Like now I can hear a drone at 65 mph that use to be silenced by the rattling of the injectors. Now with the cruise control set to 65 on flat land and the radio off, I have to really listen for the injectors. They sure are quiet now. Idling and taking off from a light is about the same amount of noise.

I have not yet changed my filters. I think I will change them after this tank is gone. When I dropped my tank to do the hutch mod, I looked in there and did not see any sludge on the walls or in the bottom. So maybe my tank is pretty clean? or maybe my filters are about to plug and I just don't know it... I was getting b5 from my local truck stop, so I wonder if that helped to keep my tank clean.

Those of you that want to make your own Bio need to read read and then read again. Then after you start making a batch or 3, read it again and again. Stuff will make more sense after you have seen it happen a time or 3. Also take your time. If you need lots of bio, add wash tanks to the mix. Donít rush anything. My buddy got going in bio right before I did and he kept trying to cut corners and rush things and ended up having to spend lots of time fixing his bio (emulsions, lots of soap, or reprocessing) Figure that from the time you start a batch it will take about 1 week to finish, whether it is 5 gallons or 50 gallons. I know the SVO guys will chime in here and say, sounds complicated SVO is easier and better. Yes I agree, but 1k to buy in is much cheaper then 1k for a filter setup and 3k to 5k for a conversion. With my processor, I can easily convert it to a svo setup with a few turns of a wrench. In my world I can not justify converting my truck. Plus if and when the Honda dies, a TDI will be in the driveway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 08:50 AM

I'm not really chiming in, Just want to say that I run a one gallon of diesel to 4 gallons of WVO mix (don't know what cat. I fall under) but the truck run way quiter, lots cooler, and I get more mpg than running diesel. I spent about $75 on my filtration system and if I run out of WVO I can still just drive home on diesel. I guess you got a pretty good handle on things but if you get that mix wrong it will cost big $$$$. My friend has a cummins in his shop with over $4000 of damage cause bio diesel. I heard of complaints of bio eatting and clogging fuel filters, has anyone else? I have a $3 see through desposeable filter at the beginning of my system. I change it once a month (some times sooner). Has been running great for 9 months. I'm not knocking bio by any means, I know it works just be careful of the mix, this cummins is not the first to fall to a bad mix of bio.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 AM

How long have you been running the mix?
Have you had your oil checked out to see how its doing?

when the engine is cold veggie oil can get past the rings into the crankcase and make a mess of your oil. I have seen pictures of the sludge that forms in there after long oil change intervals. lots of people mix vo with diesel and yea it works, but I am too chicken to try it.

Dirty Bio will kill your injectors for sure. I wash my bio extra because I am paranoid about it. If bio is done right you can run it no prob. people tend to rush it and not clean it correctly and that is when the trouble starts!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Hey Tubular, sounds like youre dead nuts on on the week thing. I just put my first 18 gallons in my truck this morning, and yep, she took a week to do right.

Now as far as trucks being damaged by bio, I have discussed this with Scuffy, and some others, and have come to the conclusion that bad bio is just that, bad bio. Not finished, full of soap, fatty acids, etc. Looked good but wasnt tested, things of that nature. Well, if you dont test, you dont know, and if you dont know, you hurt the truck.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
I know the SVO guys will chime in here and say, sounds complicated SVO is easier and better.
I'm thinking about selling my conversion and start making bio.....

JK
Old 08-21-2008, 09:19 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittle289 View Post
I'm not really chiming in, Just want to say that I run a one gallon of diesel to 4 gallons of WVO mix (don't know what cat. I fall under) but the truck run way quiter, lots cooler, and I get more mpg than running diesel. I spent about $75 on my filtration system and if I run out of WVO I can still just drive home on diesel. I guess you got a pretty good handle on things but if you get that mix wrong it will cost big $$$$. My friend has a cummins in his shop with over $4000 of damage cause bio diesel. I heard of complaints of bio eatting and clogging fuel filters, has anyone else? I have a $3 see through desposeable filter at the beginning of my system. I change it once a month (some times sooner). Has been running great for 9 months. I'm not knocking bio by any means, I know it works just be careful of the mix, this cummins is not the first to fall to a bad mix of bio.
You might want to familiarize yourself with the cost of a new lift pump and the procedure to change one.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:55 AM

I should clarify, I run WVO in a 84 250 with a 6.9. I bought for 1k just for the purpose of being a test subject for alt. fuels and additives a year ago. I have two tanks on this truck snd start and runtill warm on reagular diesel then switch over, then before shut off I switch back to clean out the injectors. I haven't done it to my 99 cause it only 1 tank, but the I deas the same 84 to 99, injesctor squirts, piston compresses, ignition, and so on. The only difference is the turbo whitch shouldn't make any, and the computer controlling the motor as opposed to mechanical operation. The first oil change and the dipstick seem fine but I'm due for an oil change so I'll have to see what happens but I'd feel confident putting in in a later 7.3. I think the worst that could happen is messing the injectors up sause I think the injectors are made differently from the 6.9. Will not that cheap of a mess up, if you were determined try, not really the end of the world. You seem to have a handle on the bio so I wouldn't change, was just agreeing with the quiter injectors. Besides running cooler did I mention I get more mpg on WVO? How about the bio?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 AM
I don't know nuttin....

i don't run bio, i run 100% vegi in a two tank heated system. Is your vegi tank steel or plastic?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 AM

I have stock dual tanks, and I just use the stock rear tank and fliter it before it goes through the relay switch. I would like to build a preheat tank useing the radiator heat. How is yours heated?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
I'm thinking about selling my conversion and start making bio.....

JK
are you serious????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.