Mist Wash Run Amuck (emulsion) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 03:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mist Wash Run Amuck (emulsion)

I spoke with Clay after my lye (boil-out) panic and he mentioned that he may start mist washing all his oil.

So....

I though i would get a jump on just that and tried it.

I Got a cone-bottom tank and tried tried mist washing a 40 gallon batch of wvo and I got too "enthusiastic". I turned it into a big old milkshake. Any thoughts on how to break it?

I really don't want to put anything suspicious into the mix. I was hoping heat or centrifuging. I tried a little of both but did not have much time to devote to either.

Maybe time will help!?!? It sat most of today and now there is about a gallon of water at the bottom, 18 gallons of oil at the top and 25 gallons of milkshake in the middle.

I collect my oil HOT. 15-20 gallons on Thursday. Maybe if I add this to what I have it will help break up the emulsion.

By the way, the centrifuge DID catch water, but the bowl is so small and there is so very much water that is was not practical to keep stopping and restarting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What's the temp right now? Warm summer temps should break the emulsion in a couple of days. You can speed it up by dropping in a heating element.

Heat and time will make everything just fine.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 PM

It will sort itself out in a week or so. Just let it be.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:34 PM

Thanks guys.

do you mist wash your wvo?

What is the filter mechanism of choice? I really like the centrifuge, just wondering what msot people do.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 AM

heat and settle
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 AM
I don't know nuttin....

You shouldn't need to filter if your washing i don't think. Thats the point of the wash, to clean the oil.
I may be way off because i have not washed any oil but thats my understanding.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here's a link to a previous discussion on mist washing: Testing WVO

After I drain the water, heat and settle, I take the oil from the top leaving behind the bottom 6". As the oil is pulled out to go into my next drum, it's passed thru a series of filters; 15-20 micron, then 1-2 micron whole house water filters, followed by a Goldenrod Water Block filter. My oil gets polished by passing through those filters a total of probably 10 times or more before the finished fuel goes into a vehicle.

Last edited by firemediceric; 08-18-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

so what you have looks like the left jar?
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1..._3160Large.jpg

If you got the peanutbutter milkshake looking emulsion, then there is soap in there that mixed with the oil and water. good thing you are washing it since soap will kill the injectors!

Even after washing I would still filter. My bio AFTER being washed 5 to 10 times still leaves little turds in my 5 micron bag and also leaves some crap in the 1 micron bag I use just before running it past my polish filters to the truck. I cycle the oil (20 to 25 gal) for 2 hours through the 5 micron and also 2 more hours through the 1 micron.

here is some good info
Breaking Emulsions - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial Website

I had a little snot layer on my last batch and pulled it out of the wash tank and let it sit in a jug for a few days and almost all of it broke apart over time. I am going to try a lilttle salt next time too. my first batch that i killed, i used the glycerine to pull it apart and that did the job in less then a day. But you dont have that, since you are not making bio...
Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCote View Post
Thanks guys.

do you mist wash your wvo?

What is the filter mechanism of choice? I really like the centrifuge, just wondering what msot people do.
I mist washed briefly last year but stopped when I always saw an emulsion. Never though about heat to break it up. I still have my fogger nozzle so I may experiment again.

IMO a centrifuge is not needed if time is on your side. I settle, heat, filter to 1 micron nominal, transfer to 275 tote for long term settling, pump off the tote's top (FROM ANOTHER TOTE THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN SETTLING FOR A VERY LONG WHILE) to insulated de-water drum, heat to 160+*F, let cool S-L-O-W-L-Y, do a HPT then pour through a 1 micron absolute polishing filter. My final product is pretty damn clean and bone dry. However a centrifuge can achieve this result in a much much faster time but at the expense of it's cost and electricity to run it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.