SVO guys - - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SVO guys -

I was talking with a local Buddy who is making BioD and has been helping me along the way. I told him that I want to jump ship and just run a heated kit and not mess with the headache of Bio. He said "o that will mess up the motor and burning that stuff is bad!" So I told him about Clay with 50k miles and others on other forums that are running it fine. he said well just cause it works for 50k does not mean that it will work for 500k+ (like most diesels go). So yes we all know you can go 50k on SVO, but what about 200k or 300k or 400k? Are you guys a little worried about the LONG term? I plan on being buried with my truck and my Subaru, who needs a coffin, I just need a BIG hole in the ground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think a lot of folks that subscribe to the theory "go exactly by the book" always get nervous when someone tries something new or different.

I had a couple folks tell me that I didn't want to go with SVO because it'd mess up my truck. I think a lack of understanding is what brings out these misconceptions.

I've just now gotten mine running on VO and don't really worry about how long it'll last before I have any problems. Are there long term effects? I really don't know. But, I imagine that if there are, I'll do what needs to be done to fix it and keep on burning oil.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 AM

I personally have only put about 12,000+ miles or so on my truck. Do some research, you will find that the original diesel was run on peanut oil. My opinion (which isn't worth much, I'm just a dumb fireman) is that with clean dry WVO and a well designed heated system your diesel motor will last a FEW hundred thousand miles.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't know nuttin....

What is the breakover point?
Mine? I would be happy if i went 100k milkes on fee fuel. Tell your buddy, 100,000/16 mpg (avg.) X 4.00 per gallon = $25,000
I can replace my engine for a 1/4 of that if indeed itt does trash it after 100k miles.

However, before i ever converted mine, Jason Crawford had logged i think 100k miles on his and he decided to take the engine apart and have it inspected and mic it. You know what he found? Normal....everything was normal.
Enough evidence for me, i converted mine a month later.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:49 AM

Hey I am with you guys. I have seen trucks that burn veggie and know that it works. I have had many conversations with clay and also know about his success (along with a bunch of guys on other forums...) I am sold on SVO but can not afford the 4k to buy the kit. My bio setup cost me the same as what it would cost to build a filter setup and can be converted with little to no work... so i am set on it.

figure this... (i am going to bring this up to him also) diesel @ $4 x 50k miles at 14 mpg = a little over $14,000. in the savings on fuel, i can afford to build a new motor and also put all the goodies in there to make it more reliable and more powerful (cough, PMRs suck! cough cough...)
Old 08-14-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
What is the breakover point?
Mine? I would be happy if i went 100k milkes on fee fuel. Tell your buddy, 100,000/16 mpg (avg.) X 4.00 per gallon = $25,000
I can replace my engine for a 1/4 of that if indeed itt does trash it after 100k miles.

However, before i ever converted mine, Jason Crawford had logged i think 100k miles on his and he decided to take the engine apart and have it inspected and mic it. You know what he found? Normal....everything was normal.
Enough evidence for me, i converted mine a month later.
dam clay, you beat me to the math! I was figuring it out and you posted it before me! haha
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I am half way to that $25,000 mark and i expect to go more than 100k miles with no problems. I am paying for my new shop with free fuel!
I do send oil samples to the lab for testing and i have seen nothing out of the ordinary to speak of so normal wear is occuring inside. I have had this truck 4 years and plan to drive it till the wheels drop off - or till i get the hankerin to upgrade to a newer body style which is a feeling that is hard to fight off sometimes but i know i will havethis truck another 50k miles and if i sell it then (as an already converted greaser) i can upgrade to a used 07, convert it and start the process over from 0 miles.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM

I figured that it would take 20K VO miles to break even with the conversion. I'm close to 25K right now. My opinion is that if your VO is filtered to <5 microns absolute (I go to 1 micron absolute) and passes the HPT and your purge time is sufficient there are no issues. Having B100 as my purge fuel cleans the fuel system better than #2 does...IMO

I can recall only one horror story with VO and that was in a VW TDI. If there were problems with running VO you'd think that it would be all over the alternative fuel forums here and elsewhere but nope...not even a peep about engine damage. The exception is those running wet oil. They should know better and haven't done their homework.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
figure this... (i am going to bring this up to him also) diesel @ $4 x 50k miles at 14 mpg = a little over $14,000. in the savings on fuel, i can afford to build a new motor and also put all the goodies in there to make it more reliable and more powerful (cough, PMRs suck! cough cough...)
Prepare for Rant... Rant-ON

There are other factors... gathering and filtering the WVO is time consuming and I don't know about you but my time is worth money so that needs to go into the equation. Finding decent WVO for free at least in my neck of the woods is getting nearly impossible now. If you live in a place with cold winters gathering and filtering in the winter months is a major hassle. WVO doesn't even pour in cool weather so pumping and transferring it at the collection site takes special and expensive equipment. Then there's the storage of WVO and the continual cleanup and disposal of the filtered debris.

Not trying to burst the bubble but I don't think there is a cost savings once you factor in time and equipment. You have to want to do bioD or WVO for reasons other than economics. I did bioD because I didn't want my fuel money paying for Jihadist vacations. The effort led me to eventually start buying the biodiesel pre-made and then my coop started purchasing it from outsiders and then the outsiders started buying it from importers so even the biodiesel money was flowing back out of the country.

Until a major energy player gets the oil-algae production issues sorted out there's not going to be an affordable-sustainable source of renewable diesel fuel.

Thanks I feel better now...

Rant-OFF
Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM

Rant on yo! I have been thinking all those things too since the first pickup I did and made a nice little mess out of my bed. Its a messy job and you really have to want to do it! In my case I have 2 cars and 2 motorcycles so parking the truck and only using it to pull the boat is not a big deal. but on the other hand, this has all been a science project for me and I am having fun doing it (for now...)

yea my time is worth something, sorta.... when I am sitting around watching tv on the weekends or after work, my time aint worth crap. now when Bio gets in the way of my clients, then its a problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.