Vegistroke Installed! Questions now.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vegistroke Installed! Questions now....

Ok finished up our install on a buddies truck. Only a few minor issues. Apparently we didn't push the plug back on to the facotry fuel pump hard enough last night and the truck wouldn't start! Luckily that was the only electrical connection we did yesterday so we knew right where to look, got everything up and running. We started the truck and let it warm up in the yard. The green light on the switch never came on though. We drove the truck for about a 4-5 mile drive, and about half way through the oil temp was even up to normal operating temp. Green light never came on. We pull back in the driveway and roll down the windows. It was definitely switched over to WVO and burning it. Shut the key off, and the motor continued to run, and purged the lines out. We restarted truck and put it in manual mode, the green light came right on. For some reason in auto mode, the green light does not come on!? Anyone have any suggestions trouble shooting this? It is functioning, just the light wont come on, so we dont know when it's actually switching over.

After laying on the ground in a puddle of water in torrential downpour last night, getting covered in hot fuel, mud and having my hands burnt and scraped to look like hamburger, I just didnt' feel like messing with this light, since the system was obviously working. I still smell like diesel, and I had nightmares about the bolts on the back of the motor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 AM
I don't know nuttin....

DFA had a batch of bad pressure switches and this could very well be what your issue is.
I have been reading on the DFA forum and there are a couple of peeps on there with this same situation.
I would contact Jason and see if he agrees and he will put you on the list for a new one.

Last edited by Clay Henry; 08-12-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:13 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
I had nightmares about the bolts on the back of the motor!

Most people have nigh mares about things like Freddy Kruger or Jason....
Old 08-12-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post

Most people have nigh mares about things like Freddy Kruger or Jason....
The bolts seem more intimidating than either of those guys.... haha.

We followed the instructions put up by Marv, and used the same tool setups he did, which worked awesome, so big shout out to him. I cant wait to get mine ordered and hopefully I can convince someone else to do those back motor bolts this time, I seemed to be the only willing participant to dive under the truck in the water pool haha.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
DFA had a batch of bad pressure switches and this could very well be what your issue is.
I have been reading on the DFA forum and there are a couple of peeps on there with this same situation.
I would contact Jason and see if he agrees and he will put you on the list for a new one.

I think as usual, Clay is dead on with his diagnosis. The first time I tried mine, the light wouldn't light up and the system wouldn't switch over. Light worked great in manual mode though.

After talking with Jason and Clay, they traced it down to a pressure issue. In my case, the regulator was set too low. It should be all the way out and then two complete turns in and then snug up the lock nut. After that, she switched over just fine.

Hope you get it sorted out!

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
The bolts seem more intimidating than either of those guys.... haha.

We followed the instructions put up by Marv, and used the same tool setups he did, which worked awesome, so big shout out to him. I cant wait to get mine ordered and hopefully I can convince someone else to do those back motor bolts this time, I seemed to be the only willing participant to dive under the truck in the water pool haha.
Mdub, I have to agree with you...haha. That was the part of the install that I dreaded the absolute most. Was't too bad after it was done, but I don't think I'd want to do that everyday...whew.

Glad the instructions helped by the way!! Good to hear of another successful install!!

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Mdub, I have to agree with you...haha. That was the part of the install that I dreaded the absolute most. Was't too bad after it was done, but I don't think I'd want to do that everyday...whew.

Glad the instructions helped by the way!! Good to hear of another successful install!!

Thanks!
Thank you for posting them! We used your instructions more than the DFA ones haha. The allen wrench being cut down and the 17mm wrench getting cut in half saved us a ton of time and headache, and we have you to thank for that!

Our system switched over to veggie, it was running WVO for sure, but the light wasn't working.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thank you for posting them! We used your instructions more than the DFA ones haha. The allen wrench being cut down and the 17mm wrench getting cut in half saved us a ton of time and headache, and we have you to thank for that!

Our system switched over to veggie, it was running WVO for sure, but the light wasn't working.
Sounds like it worked out ok then - glad to hear it. The cut down wrench idea was born out of many minutes of frustration after trying to get a full size wrench in there.

Heck, I had a hard enough time getting my hands in there, much less a bunch of tools...haha.

I either need smaller hands or more elbows and wrists if I'm gonna keep working on these cars and trucks!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 AM

I overnighted my bad sender back to dfa for analysis.

to check that suspect pressure sender w/meter;
key off, and sender unplugged:
Red - Black = normally open
Blue - Black = normally closed

If you see anything different then it's bad.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson & Co View Post
I overnighted my bad sender back to dfa for analysis.

to check that suspect pressure sender w/meter;
key off, and sender unplugged:
Red - Black = normally open
Blue - Black = normally closed

If you see anything different then it's bad.
Good info there Wilson, thanks! I checked the temp sensor when I was troubleshooting (as you suggested), but was curious if there was a way to check the pressure sender.

I'll have to file that info for future reference.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.