Terrified About Lye! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Terrified About Lye!

OK,

I have been collecting oil in preparation for my V3 install...

I just poured a gallon of oil from a friend into my almost full drum. The previous three gallons looked fine so i just tipped this on over and let fly. Tis one was completely milky looking. No, not creamy like partially hydrogenated, this was like the blue-white color and consistency of skimmed milk.

I fear that i have just contaminated almost 50 gallons of good wvo with this stuff. - UG!

I called Blackstone and they told me they really don't test for lye or other cleaners.

What should I do?

Is there a test I can perform myself (ph test or something)?

Jason at DFA told me of a way to take a sample, add water, and heat in a sealed container and look for foam and pressure. That got me thinking about the last 100 gallons i centrifuged. That had a big foamy slick on top when finished. I am almost certain that was good oil though.

I think I'm working myself into a lather over this (pun intended).

How prevalent is the use of boil-out and other caustics?

HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Can't answer your question, but if you got the gallon from a friend, why not call and ask him if there was anything mixed in with the oil?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas157 View Post
Can't answer your question, but if you got the gallon from a friend, why not call and ask him if there was anything mixed in with the oil?
I did and his answer was not clear, as in "i wasnt there when the cooks drained it, so I don't know".

I am willing (if not happy) to toss all 50 gallons, it just makes me worry how common this is. Say I get permission to dumpster dive, how likely will it be to be contaminated with lye?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 AM

ph would be high if filled it had lye in it (upwards of 7)

if nothing else you're halfway to making soap! little ammonia and some cooking and you've got free cleaner for a while. (look up the recipe)
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 AM

you can always mist wash the oil to clean it out. If i was running SVO i would mist wash EVERY drop i use (if it were WVO and the source was unknown)

If you are going to toss it, where are you at? Ill take it if you are around north texas Ill make it into bio
Old 08-05-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
you can always mist wash the oil to clean it out. If i was running SVO i would mist wash EVERY drop i use (if it were WVO and the source was unknown)

If you are going to toss it, where are you at? Ill take it if you are around north texas Ill make it into bio
I am in Columbus OH. I was thinking of donating it to someone making bio. Anyone near here?

How do i test the ph of my oil?

Last edited by FastCote; 08-05-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 AM
I don't know nuttin....

take a gatoraid bottle, put about 4 oz hot water in it and add a sample of the oil. Go outside your house and shake it violently. If there is Lye in it, the lid will blow off and you will have an oil fountain in your hand. If it just turns milky and nothing else, use it.
I have been lucky enough to get cantaminated oil from a dumpster so i no longer get any oil from any sorce that i can't physically talk to the cooks and make sure they understand that i DO NOT WANT THERE CLEANING CHEMICALS.
Dumpster dive at your own risk. Not sure if washing would remove it or not but its worth a shot.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't know nuttin....

a titration test will tell you the PH i believe but i'm not familiar enough with that to tell you how to do it.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
I have been lucky enough to get cantaminated oil from a dumpster so i no longer get any oil from any sorce that i can't physically talk to the cooks and make sure they understand that i DO NOT WANT THERE CLEANING CHEMICALS.
Dumpster dive at your own risk. Not sure if washing would remove it or not but its worth a shot.
hell yea! i would not trust anything that I dont get directly from the cooks.

After a biod reaction there is left over lye, soap and methanol in the bio that does not settle out in the glycerine and that is why we wash the bio a bunch of times. I know this because my last 2 batches had lots of extra lye in them and I ended up washing them MANY times to get it all out! Its a pain i know...
Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 PM

I'm in indiana and would take it? Have to mapquest though how far is columbus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.