CNG KITS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to proracermx2
CNG KITS

ive been looking and looking for some CNG kits for my 6.0. can anyone give me some good websites that have kits and pricing?? i have got to get some mileage out of my truck and i think this is best way for me.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think CNG has less energy than diesel, so improving your mileage this way won't work. If you just want to go farther without stopping another diesel tank is probably a better idea.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:36 AM

no you run cng with diesel and they are getting 100hp and up to 50mpg. i have only found one guy making the kits so far. about 1200 plus tank.

DeLuca Fuel Products
Old 08-03-2008, 06:13 PM

cng

You will not save much money with a system like this unless you can get the cng real cheap-probably less than $2.50 per gal. When you figure in the cost of the system it will take a very long time to recop the money spent. What is the cost of cng? I'm paying a little more than $3.10 per gal. for propane.I am saving .03 to .04 cents per mile avg. no load. If pulling a 10k 5th wheel then up to .20 cents per mile. If you can save .03 cents per mile on avg. then after about 50k miles you will start to save money.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 PM

cng is about 85 cents a gallon here.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 PM

cng

at that rate then a person could save some money with cng if the btu's are close to propane. I don't even know where to get cng in My area. I wonder what would have to be done to convert a propane system to cng?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:49 PM

yeah its .85 here, thats why im thinking about doing this. i race bikes to i do travel alot. if i do it ill let you guys know how it works and all.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:09 PM

LP(propane) has 2500 BTU's per cubic ft

Nat gas has about 850-1000 btu per cubic foot

Gas appliance burner orifices are much much smaller on LP tha Nat gas.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah300rum View Post
LP(propane) has 2500 BTU's per cubic ft

Nat gas has about 850-1000 btu per cubic foot

Gas appliance burner orifices are much much smaller on LP tha Nat gas.
So if My math is correct cng has 35 to 40% the BTUs of propane? If so, you would need a 60 gallon or larger tank for cng if you were going any distance at all between fill ups of cng?

With the propane setup that I use I normally use about 1 gallon of propane per 100 miles. My propane tank is a 22 gallon tank thus about 2200 miles between fillups unless towing then about 1000 miles.

To save money with cng I think one would have to use much more cng per mile than I do with propane hence the idea of a larger tank.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 AM

There is a big push here for CNG in vehicles since we are way below the national average for CNG. The local gas distributor has built about 10 or so filling station across our area. In area I mean 3-4 counties, so they are far from aroung the corner. I cant remember tha size of tank but they are saying a driving range of 200-250 miles for a 6 cylider sedan such as an Acccord or Malibu. It is a cheap way for local driving but you arent going on any trips out of the area.

Also you can have a filling station at your house for about $3,000, but that would take a while to pay for itself. Also the home station takes over an hour to refill a tank due to a small compressor and extremely high pressures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.