Fuel pressure and purge time with installed ball valve - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pressure and purge time with installed ball valve

Back again with more ?'s on my 4 month old DIY deadhead system. I took the advise of several folks here and installed a ball valve on my return line at tank which came out great. Now I'm wondering;
What is optimal pressure/back pressure for purge cycle?
With restriction from valve should my purge cycle be longer? If so how many seconds is recommended? I have it set to about 20 psi while purging now and tried 15 seconds tonight and still smelled veg in garage at shut down.
Lastly as an after thought. I know have a pump with adjustable pressure. It seems that 70 psi is preferred for fuel pressure on the veg side. From what I have read, the d2 side of things is 55-60 psi. Is there a reason for the extra pressure on veg? I have it set to 70 right now. Just thought I'd piggy back one more question on here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

no reasoning in psi setting, but it will come into play, if you dont have an on/off switch on D2. If psi was same/lower, on wvo side, you'd always be running d2, since it'll overcome wvo psi and hold wvo at cv's.....70psi is fine. you get the wvodesigns new adjustable pump?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Thanks, yes d2 pump is powered off when veg pump is on and vise versa. Yeah I am a week into running the new Wvo designs pump. I like it, easy to adjust and very quiet which is nice as its mounted on back wall of bed by tank. The previous pump I had from them was 1st generation and it seems it was flawed from the start. Glad I stuck with them and their pump as it seems great so far. I ran a fass for 4 yrs on 1st system and had not an issue until it detonated. That's my only other experience.
Unprecedented customer with wvo d's for sure. A bit of a bummer with 1st pump but they warranted it I'm stoked! I'll post back on performance as I get further in. Thanks for reply!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM

cool..i got the 2nd gen, in the box, up on the shelf. The 1st gen, still bang'n away after 2yrs...:thumbsup:

My wvo "feed" line, is also my "purge" line too, when on d2. I got one of them aluminum manifolds, with cv at the beginning. Pump and filter are prior to manifold, so no flushing of pump and filter. With the manifold, the "purge" then is redirected thru one of the open manifold ports, to the "purge" valve..(mcmaster-carr unit), then dumps to tank. Didnt want to run 2-lines with little room to work with...(wvo line is fed on p/s of truck).
Old 11-06-2013, 10:32 AM

Hoping for some feedback on ball valve ?'s if anyone has one on return. Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 11:02 AM

mm...why not delete the ball valve and install an on/off solenoid..something like what we run from McMaster...that way, while "driving" home and your about 1 mile or so from there, you dump the wvo pump, flip the d2 pump, then with drive hoem ,you'll "wash" the cylinders down. Then when in driveway, have key to accessory, open up purge valve, turn on d2 pump, and let the fluid flow for roughly 5-10 seconds....
Old 11-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

While purging, I try to keep my pressure between 50-60 psi and purge for 20+ seconds twice, once a mile or so from the house and the second purge at the house. Not sure the second is really needed, but I do it.

After you get the valve set to 50psi, pull the return line at the tank and stick it in a bucket. Time it till it turns to d2. That should be your purge time.

Last edited by MtnOilRIG; 11-09-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:38 AM

Thanks MtnOil,
Do you run 50 psi on purge for any peticular reason? To leave more fuel in heads to reduce starvation? Seems logical as I still hear the sound @ 20psi that I first heard at 0 (injectors starving for fuel) it's just not as loud/obvious.
I get the concept of pulling fitting at return port but not sure what you mean by holding until I see veg. I was thinking I'd do it while on veg and have my wife hold purge switch till I see/or smell d2. If I time that I should have exact time of full purge. Right? Having never done this I have been wondering if it will be obvious (by sight) when I see d2. Thanks for the advise, much appreciated. Let me know on psi and return if you get a chance.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I fixed it.

Run veg, switch over to d2, have your wife hit the purge while you hold the purge line in a bucket. time the time it takes for diesel to get back to where you are.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

And 50 psi only because I can't hear the starvation anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.