Jumpin in!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Jumpin in!!

Me and the wife made the decision. Base on my daily driving of 4ish miles to work and back, Bio is the best route for us.(After many hours of study and research). SO, in the last 2 weeks I have accomplished the following:
- 80 gallons of oil per week supply. 40 that I am selling to another Volkswagon diesel guy for a dollar a gallon.(He offered), and 40 I am storing, of which 30 is from a chinese joint that dumps 3 times a week.(I get 1 of the three)
-New 40 gallon electric water heater for 65 dollars because of a dent in the top.(I was excited)
- 50 gallon drum of methanol(99.9%) for 188 dollars(taxes and barrell included)
-3 55gallon poly drums(1 white) and 1-50 gallon metal drum(new condition)
-5 bottles Phenol red Ph solution from pool supply store

Delima- Cant decide whether to just go ahead and order the Appleseed processor and standpipe wash kits from Utah Biodiesel or just the plans. I know the valves and such are a one stop item. Im just unsure about the odd parts required that I may get aggravated trying to locate and put together.
Also having trouble finding supplier for potassium hydroxide.

I am a little nervous about getting started. I am VERY anal about details(always have been). I have been watching Utah Bios videos and taking notes, so I understand Titration, formulas for methanol and lye, and the process. Just want to get it all together and get the nerves settled. I am very exctited about this too. I think about it much of the day, trying to remeber all i have read and watched. Any Any tips would be appreciated from you pros who were once in my shoes. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

why all the work if you only drive 4 miles to work?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Shane do you know anybody who works in the water wastewater field? They can get the potassium hydroxide from their chemical supplier
Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Agree, total waste of time and effort for less than 30 miles a week. At best thats two gallons...about $10 of fuel. Collecting 80 gallons a week is quite a bit of work much less also having to process it to bio.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Rephrase- 4 miles to work, but ends up being 20ish thousand a year because of all the UNnecessary driving I like to do with my Wife and son. And, because I want to. That in itself is a good enough reason for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
Shane do you know anybody who works in the water wastewater field? They can get the potassium hydroxide from their chemical supplier
I checked with the water dept here in the city I work for, and they dont use it. You are saying the wastewater treatment facility we have may use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allofus123 View Post
Agree, total waste of time and effort for less than 30 miles a week. At best thats two gallons...about $10 of fuel. Collecting 80 gallons a week is quite a bit of work much less also having to process it to bio.
80 gallons a week:

40 from 1 place that is being collected by my Uncle(Volkswagon man) and he is paying me for it. 1 dollar a gallon if I deliver it, 50 cents if he comes to get it.

30 gallons being put back in cubies for me to pick up on Sunday mornings at the Chinese restaurant. They dump 3 times a week. I am only picking up 1 of the 3. I dont HAVE to pick it up, he will pour it in the container for the other company. They payhim 4 cents per pound. I pay him 10 dollars for 30 gallons if I need it. I just have to go there on Sunday mornings at 11 if I want it.

10 gallons being poured in my collection drum at the local Mexican restaurant once a week. That is the only one I am obligated to collect each week. The others are optional. I just wanted to secure the soureces and feel them out ahead of time. That advice was given to me by another WVO guy on this site.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
It is a wastewater thing, try amerochem
Old 07-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Jon

Hmmm

Interesting, I can see if you drove 100 miles a day like I do. You could pay for it in no time, but at 4 miles a day it will take for ever to pay it off unless you sell some. Sounds cool though.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

sounds cool Shane- you should get a diesel generator for your house now.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Shane the chemical supplier for your wastewater plant should be able to get it for you We use sodium hydroxide in our lab, but our chemical supplier also has potasium hydroxide. Worth a shot
Old 07-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Conservative and Proud

Soooooo...... for those saying it's not worth it.....

Are saying it will be 10-15 years before he actually sees a return on his investment????

I think it's great Shane! Just think of all those extra camping trips you can take!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.