Proper purge and engine run time? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Proper purge and engine run time?

With a V3, how long should the purge cycle be and how long should the engine run before shutdown?

I'm having rough starts with cold engine starts. Currently have a 47 second run time on the engine after shutdown. Will be timing the purge cycle today. Has been suggested that the rough idle may be caused by unburned VO still in the injectors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guessing you have both of the timers set where there supposed to be so try this, before you get home and shutdown for the night turn the V3 off and run the system on diesel for about 10 miles so the VO is completely burned and only diesel is left in the injectors. Next cold start see if you have the same symptoms, if not maybe the timers should be adjusted for longer run time.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Contacted Jason and he said my shutdown time of 47 seconds was too short and should be at least 55 seconds. My purge time was 8 seconds which Jason said is correct so we commenced to trying to dial in the timer card for the shut down.

I learned a bit about the timer cards. Apparently the dial can be placed in a 0-60 seconds mode or a 0-60 minutes mode by flipping a few switches on the card. Unfortunely for me my timer card would only allow me 49 seconds max in the "seconds" mode. When I put it in the "minutes" mode and dialed it all the way down I got a 37 seconds shut down in the first position and one click past that gave me a 2 minutes and 10 seconds shut down. So in the "minutes" mode I had either 37 seconds or 2 mins and 10 seconds with nothing between.

Waiting to hear back from Jason as to our next move.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allofus123 View Post
Contacted Jason and he said my shutdown time of 47 seconds was too short and should be at least 55 seconds. My purge time was 8 seconds which Jason said is correct so we commenced to trying to dial in the timer card for the shut down.

I learned a bit about the timer cards. Apparently the dial can be placed in a 0-60 seconds mode or a 0-60 minutes mode by flipping a few switches on the card. Unfortunely for me my timer card would only allow me 49 seconds max in the "seconds" mode. When I put it in the "minutes" mode and dialed it all the way down I got a 37 seconds shut down in the first position and one click past that gave me a 2 minutes and 10 seconds shut down. So in the "minutes" mode I had either 37 seconds or 2 mins and 10 seconds with nothing between.

Waiting to hear back from Jason as to our next move.
2 minutes is what i run mine at. 1 minute is not enough - Jason may say so but on mine, at one minute of run time i still got a rough start. an additional minute also allows for good turbo cooling time.
If you want to time your purge more precisely, get a helper, take the return line off at your vegi tank and get a clear plastic 2 liter bottle or something like that, hold the return line in the bottle and have your partnet turn the key off - the vegi system needs to be on prior to this - now watch the clock and watch the fluid coming from the return line. When you stop seeing vegi and start seeing diesel from that line, you are fully purged. I think mine timed to be 7 seconds.
A longer purge will dump more diesel into your vegi tank-which is fine it just causes you to use more diesel.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:02 AM

Can one of you give the dipswitch locations for the 2 minute purge time? I think I will make this change also. I noticed a rough start after getting in my truck and running to home depot <3 miles away and I was in the store for a while. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:03 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I'll run out and snap a pic of mine...give me a few minutes to get back and post it.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:09 AM

I have been trying to get mine dialed in correctly too. Curious to see how your settings compare to mine.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:24 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Well the pic didn't turn out well...
Basically looking at the card with the switches up top and the dials below, the switches should be set (from left to right) down, down, down, up.
Again "down" being towards the dials.
Now set your run timer dial to minimum - i think that clockwise - and start the truck, get it up to temp so the V3 is on - turn off the key and time it till it turns off.
If you want to increase the run time only adjust the dial in TINY increments and repeat the start, shutdown process while timming it.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Here are the instructions Jason gave me:

Quote:
Ok, then find the dip switch box on the top timer card. There will be 4 little white switches in there that will be labeled 1,2,3, and 4. 1 should be off, and 2,3 and 4 will be on as it came from us. You will need to flip #2 to off as well. This changes the timing from 1-60 seconds to 1-60 minutes. Next turn the thumbwheel all the way CCW. Now start testing the run time, and move the thumbwheel in extremely small increments until you get close to a minute. You do not have to have the vehicle running to do this, only the key on.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't know nuttin....

the switches are on the bottom card on mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.