Crackle/Hot Pan Test - What is acceptable - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crackle/Hot Pan Test - What is acceptable

I have been very lucky because my sources of oil seem to be very dry and clean. The one place I collect from is actually still golden yellow - looks brand new when I pick it up. I have performed the hot pan test numerous times on that oil and the oil just sits there - no crackle or even bubbles. I have been experimenting with some oil from a new source and after heating and settling I still have very small bubbles that disappear. I have read various articles on this test and currently have the Frybrid writeup in front of me. My question is how much is acceptable? The Frybrid article has pictures and describes the bubble sizes and gives an approximate range for water present. Obviously less is better but what is acceptable in your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 05:53 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Are you filtering also or just heating and settling?
Of couse in a perfect world we want no water. However, with the vegistroke, the Donaldson filter will catch small suspended water droplets so i don't worry about it.
I have hot pan tested oil that had maybe 10 tinybubles in an area the size of a quarter and that was acceptable to me with the donaldson filter.
Don't forget you will never be able to get away from the water issue...at least i haven't found a way. Everytime you drive, your vented tank is pulling in air through the vent and that air contains moisture which will condensate on the surface of the tank. A heated tank combined with cool outside temps will accelerate this. Of course this water will form in large droplets and fall to the bottom of the tank as "free water" rather than suspended water.
Thats why i have a tank drain so i can park it where the water will migrate to the drain and then let it set overnight and come out and drain off a quart of so to pull that water out. I have never seen more than maybe a nickle sized droplet. The donaldson filter will catch this also if if gets picked up but no reason to prematurely clog a filter.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 AM

I am filtering too. Same setup as yours basically. I currently have enough oil to get by week to week but I want a little excess to have set aside for roadtrips and such so therefore I am looking at oil from another source. I figured that the Donaldson would pick any excess up but agree that it doesn't make sense to burn filters up. Again I read the articles but just wanted to hear what you guys were seeing in real life applications. So far I have about 4,100 miles on the Vegistroke and still grinning. I slowed down a bit because I think I had about 2,000 of them in the first two weeks but my daughter broke her arm so we haven't been traveling as much with the horses. Clay have you done anything with spraying your new tank yet? I talked to the Line-X guy here in town but that is as far as I have gotten with mine. Keep me updated if you decide to do your tank and thanks again.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:18 AM

I had asked Joason at DFA this exact question. HE said that he basically only tests to ensure that it doesn't crackle when you pour the oil into the pan.

Some bubbles are fine.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson & Co View Post
I had asked Joason at DFA this exact question. HE said that he basically only tests to ensure that it doesn't crackle when you pour the oil into the pan.

Some bubbles are fine.
Thanks! I was playing with it again last night and was wondering how much it would take to get an audible crackle so I added a tiny drop of water to my oil sample - agitated it - droped it on the skillet - SNAP/CRACKLE/POP. If this is the standard then I am in great shape because as I mentioned I only have very small bubbles and that is just with the new oil source - my old oil looks extremely dry.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:45 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I don't think I am not going to spray my tank after all. I got the new DFA heated tank and all the fittings on the side are exposed and would be a major PITA to spray that area and make it look right. The new design for these tanks is to cover these fittings with a flat piece of aluminum to look cleaner and hide the hose connections. That would allow for easy spray on.
If i do spray it, it will only be the back side facing the open bed to protect it when hauling stuff. My old tank did get a few scratches on that side.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
The new design for these tanks is to cover these fittings with a flat piece of aluminum to look cleaner and hide the hose connections.
That figures..... 6 weeks and I already need to upgrade.

After my install the first thing I said to my buddy was how I wished the fittings and fillup tube was within some kind of housing area and not exposed. I prefer not to "advertise" my choice of fuel.

Speaking of fuel filters, anyone have any comparison information for the Baldwin equivilent? Its BF584. My google attempt for spec data on both the Donaldson and the Baldwin sucked.

Last edited by Allofus123; 07-11-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-11-2008, 08:18 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allofus123 View Post
That figures..... 6 weeks and I already need to upgrade.

After my install the first thing I said to my buddy was how I wished the fittings and fillup tube was within some kind of housing area and not exposed. I prefer not to "advertise" my choice of fuel.

Speaking of fuel filters, anyone have any comparison information for the Baldwin equivilent? Its BF584. My google attempt for spec data on both the Donaldson and the Baldwin sucked.
I think i will fabricate a cover from some aluminum and have it professionally welded and attached somehow where i can hing it open or lift it off.

Don't know about the filter comparrison.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:17 AM

IMO no bubbles is the bench mark. As it heats I'll see ripples on the bottom of the oil. As it reaches 300*F and is bubble free my test is done. If I see any bubbles I'll re-heat the 55 gal drum again and test again. I pass 90% the first time I de-water and always on the second try.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't know nuttin....

ever tryed the hpt with #2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.