MAP sensor adjuster for mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MAP sensor adjuster for mileage

I built a MAP sensor enhancer that intercepts the signal coming from the MAP sensor and adjusts it. I have a Scan Gauge II that is able to monitor the map sensor output. The output without the enhancer hovers between 14 and
20psi during normal driving while trying not exceed 2000 RPMs. At 55 my EGTs hang around 500 usually and spiking just over 600. With the enhancer set to around 8psi, EGTs seem to hover around the same temps, maybe a hair higher. So now the results. I usually get between 13 and 15 around town. Today I was averaging 20MPG. I am using a Scan Guage II which can monitor MAP sensor output as well as many other perameters depending on the vehicle. The MAP sensor output without the enhancer hovers between 14 and 20PSI. Useing the enhancer, I adjusted the output down to 8 PSI and the mileage picked up. I plan to install an HHO generator eventually once I get done testing on my 91 Explorer. What do you guys think? Are there other dangers doing this? I know running to lean is not good and I am monitoring my EGTs closely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 05:02 PM

I assume you are looking at the display and not hand calculating mileage... You are fooling the PCM into thinking the engine is using less fuel.

OR

You are running the motor dangerously lean.

Those are the only two options
Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 PM

Well if I understand the principle of the sensor, It tells the ECU what the preasure is in the manifold and the ECU adjusts the the amount fuel the injectors are are spraying so I would assume then yes I am leaning out the mix. I am watching the EGTs but is that enough? If things are too lean wont the EGTs rise?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:04 PM

You are infact telling the PCM that you are at a higher altitude, So it defuel's, thus leaning out your mixture.

I don't know how unsafe that is, But if you travel thru say the Rockies then you may have trouble keeping your engine alive.

You may also get a DTC code. 14psi is what it should read at startup, that is what atmospheric pressure is.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:14 PM

yes 14 is roughly what I get without the enhancer. I am no where near any altitude.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 PM

How did you build this MAP Sensor enhancer? What materials do you need?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:52 AM

I followed the directions from this site. Radio shack has what you wil need. I don't know how safe this is so do so at your own risk.

How To build a simple DIY fuel injection ECU controller | eHow.com
Attached Thumbnails
MAP sensor adjuster for mileage-map-wiring_full.jpg  
Old 07-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have installed hho generators on my 02 7.3 diesel and have seen an increase in power, mpg and reduction in emissions. i know for gas engines the next step is manipulating the o2 sensor. is this map sensor what you need for the 7.3? i was told their is not a o2 sensor.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:46 PM

This is the unit that is in my truck now, but I don't have the HO generator though. I adjusted it for 12psi. What kind of mileage are you getting?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

with 1 generator running which feeds 1 liter every 100 sec. i got 23.5 on the trip from bangor to cape cod (300miles) @65 mph. i made a twin and run them together feeding 1 liter in 50 sec.drawing 26 or so amps (12 to 13 amps for each one) amps and heat go hang and hand. i like running them around 140 degrees. i am leaving for bangor me. today but will be pulling a 8 ton trailer with a massey fergeson 1528 tractor on it, the last time i move my tractor i used a full tank of fuel. on the return trip i won't have the trailor and will get a good mpg test.i notice a big difference in power when i added the second generator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.