$188 tank of fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$188 tank of fuel

Ok guys these fuel prices are getting ridiculous. I have a 2003 F350 stock crew cab dually, with a 7.3L and around 175k miles on it. As far as i know it has never been run on any alternative fuels. My dad makes Bio-Diesel and has been running it in every diesel hes had, all chevys though. I would be able to get it from him rather than at the pump. I read diesel world and diesel power mags all the time and they say that i could have some problems if I just start running B100, being its an older vehicle with some milage on it. That the B100 will start loosening deposits from all the years of build up in the tank and fuel lines and eveywhere else. And that it could get into my injectors and other things. I really cant afford for things to start breaking if I start using B100. I would much rather fill my tank for free rather than $188 at the pump. So I guess my question is what will i have to worry about if i start using straight B100?

Last edited by jsimonff; 07-06-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

If your father is making it, and he will give it to you pretty much for what it costs him to make it, run the piss out of it. My current vehicle is a 00 7.3 with 226K on it. Bought it with 217K and 9k have been 100% alternative B100 and WVO in a vegistroke. Like clockwork just the same as my 1995 7.3 that I had the fuel filter will plug within the first 500-1000 miles so just carry a spare with you. If you have changed the filter before its pretty easy and can be done roadside in 5 mins. once you plug one filter from all the crap that has biult up in your tank over the years and you wont have a problem after that. Hell even if you have to change the fuel filter every tank of fuel , at the $188 a tank I wouldnt complain one bit.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:10 PM
The Fat Mod

First Filter after 2000-4000 miles. Next filter at 8k miles and then 12k. After that you should be able to stick with normal filter changes.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
First Filter after 2000-4000 miles. Next filter at 8k miles and then 12k. After that you should be able to stick with normal filter changes.
That works too, I think once I hooked up my vegistroke I havent run actually another 1-2,000 miles on my truck it heats up so fast.

But the point is the filters will plug until you flush your system of all the crud that has built up over the years. After that you will have the cleanest tank ever!!! The filter will stop everything so I wouldnt worry about plugging injectors. Plus the BD will probably dissolve any junk in your injectors if you or previous owner have never run and cleaners through it.

Another good thing to do when you change a plugged filter, is open the fuel drain and run a good bit of fuel out it say a 1/4 gal. Key on, but engine not running, will help to flush anything out that has made it to the filter housing but prevent it from plugging your next filter.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ok got the filter part but what about gaskets and o-rings and fuel lines and things of that sort. im pretty sure i have metal fuel lines but not positive on everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.