ideal VO temp for full combustion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ideal VO temp for full combustion

alright so there is plenty of stuff out there about coolant temps and switching over, but not alot on the actual VO temps. In summer driving temperatures I'm able to heat my VO up to 170+ according to the VO temp sensor located after the FPHE with my coolant fluctuating between 180-210. We've had a few days in the 50's now and I've noticed my VO temp is now floating in the 150-160 range most of the time unless I hit a really steep climb, and in the mornings when we are still in the 30's I wont even break 140 degrees VO temp while my EOT is still at 180-210 for a prolonged period. She seems to be burning it just fine even at these lower VO temps with no change in fuel pressure or EGT.

my question is, should I be worried about these lower VO temps? At EOT what is the minimum recommended straight VO temp before I need to start cutting with diesel to aid with combustion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

on a powerstroke really anything above 140 is fine if there is a load on the engine. 160 is ideal but if your oil is at 140 but your combustion chamber is at 500 degrees and up then it really doesnt matter any more. If there is no load on engine (going downhill for a long period or idling) I tend to do switch to diesel. I dont always do it because I forget.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
on a powerstroke really anything above 140 is fine if there is a load on the engine. 160 is ideal but if your oil is at 140 but your combustion chamber is at 500 degrees and up then it really doesnt matter any more. If there is no load on engine (going downhill for a long period or idling) I tend to do switch to diesel. I dont always do it because I forget.
thanks this is exactly what i was looking for. I plan on running a winter mix to help with combustion and viscosity, but with a non-intercooled OBS its pretty easy to stay over 500 degrees on the EGT gauge. If cruising downhill I never bother switching over since my RPMs are still up, but if i'm just idling downhill I will switch back to diesel.

I may add a 20 plate FPHE before the pump just to get my temp up a little, I just have a simple heater coil loop running through my tank and i'm sure it doesnt get up to 100 before the fuel filter. That little temp boost may be what I need to hit that 160 VO temp in the colder weather.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:11 PM

Even though 140 probably would be ok I wouldn't be comfortable with that VO temp. It should be at least 160 IMHO.

Something is not right with your system if you are only getting 140 VO temp at 30 degrees. I have run VO in MUCH colder temps & had no problem maintaining 170 VO temp. Of course I had to wait longer before I switched over.

To insure that my VO stays hot enough I added a 203 T-stat, aux coolant pump, TIH fuel lines, insulated the fuel lines, 20 plate FPHE plumbed just before the heads & winter front.

I have never had to switch back to D2 or run a winter mix. IMHO that should not be necessary.

Boise is your fuel system deadhead or regulated return??

Last edited by simone0414; 10-06-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

coolant loop in tank -> pump -> HOH fuel lines -> turbo heated fuel filter -> 40 plate FPHE -> regulated return

I'm also running a 205 tstat

At 30 degree out using my IR gun I am getting 100 degrees at the filter, 140 degrees on the fuel line after the FPHE. I'd think that since its a 40 plate it should be good and hot by then.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:04 AM

Your pump will not like you if you plan to put a FPHE before the pump. Pump placement if critical. From my experience under the hood is best. Coolact loop in sump, TIH, Pump, FPHE, Filter, Engine is what has worked best in the conversions I have done....when I was messing with VO before graduating to B100, I could drive highway speeds at -20*F and achieve temps consistantly above 160*F pre-head with the above and a 40 FPHE (I run a regulated return also, which allowed a much shorter amount of time for the fuel in the FPHE. Dead head will be much higher)
Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the pre-pump fphe was only a thought to boost temps earlier in the line, i would run it with the 40 plate FPHE located in the engine compartment. Is it not advised to run heated oil through your pump? I know it needs to be warm enough to flow, never thought it being too hot would be a problem.

the only differences between your setup and mine is I am running hose-over-hose to avoid any cross contamination of fluids (i've seen these aluminum lines crack plenty of times to be wary). And my fuel filter is before the FPHE.

I did some more IR gun readings on my most recent 40 mile trip, both are with consistent coolant temps of 180+:

at 70 degrees ambient temp (after a long stint of running hot vo):

fittings at head: 200
fuel line to head: 170
VO temp on dash: 170
fuel filter: 140

at 35 degrees ambient temp (no VO used):

fittings at head: 140
fuel line to head: 140
VO temp on dash: 140
fuel filter: 100

I feel like ambient temp is the only thing effecting my setup. and it still doesnt make sense that the VO that is just sitting in my FPHE doesnt eventually heat up to temp as it is not flowing. Perhaps its a coolant flow issue, I may be getting high enough temps at the front of the FPHE but not throughout the system, although I have done readings off the coolant lines near the tank in the past and they were 160-170. Since the filter and FPHE are right next to the turbo in warmer temps it may be aiding in heating up my VO, whereas in colder temps it is not putting out as much heat.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:28 PM

I have run TIH fuel lines for 100k miles with no cross contamination. I suppose you are correct that TIH increases the chances of cross contamination but IMO the risk is low. TIH probably would help with temps but I doubt that is your problem.

What size coolant lines are you using?? Are you sure there is no restrictions in your coolant lines?? No kinks ??
Old 10-09-2013, 04:57 PM

Install one of them aux coolant pumps from a mercedes. I see 225*+ going through my fphe and tank. That shiat is bubbling within miles. Rob the coolant from the heater "in" line.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did some testing with my coolant system and it seems like I'm getting some weak pressure through the VO coolant loop. Its barely a trickle at idle. However there are no kinks/blockage in the system so i assume this is just a weakness with the belt-driven pump.

I'm giving the mercedes pump a try, I grabbed a couple of them from the wrecking yard and installed on the return side of my VO coolant loop. I did notice that these pumps dont create any suction though, they just push the coolant along, so I may relocate it or find a different suction-type pump to use.

I've heard of people using the universal fuel pumps from autozone, I have one of these in my spare parts bin but the inlet/outlet is only 3/8 and it seems kind of ridiculous to run it inline with 3/4" hose. HF also sells some 12v utility pumps, however it doesnt say what temp liquid it is rated for and at 200 GPH it may be overkill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.