Blue Harbor Freight pumps read this if you gotem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blue Harbor Freight pumps read this if you gotem

I posted this on another forum under a debate on what pump to use. Most suggest the blue Harbor Fright pumps and many warn about them blowing or catching on fire…

Here is a little Vid I made that shows the voltage and the blown cap.

I thought I would share this with you guys. One of my blue harbor freight pumps went up in smoke last weekend. We use this one for water only to water the garden. The run cap popped and puked its guts out inside the plastic power box on top and made some smoke. Now that the run cap was out of the loop the windings on the inside are introduced to the straight line voltage and they started to burn/ melt. Good thing I was standing there when it popped and pulled the plug before the windings could melt and short the motor.

So here is WHY they blow. My dad’s house line voltage is 130 usually. We have even seen up to 136 at times. Well the run cap is only rated at 240 v. Now if you have 120 line volts then the voltage across the cap is 240 which is JUST hardly with in the caps limit.
I don’t know exactly why the windings and the cap measure double, but they do. I watched my dad measure them with the meter. He was explaining it to me but I can not remember right now as to why. My dad use to design motors and systems using motors (and also build electric motors) so he is some kind of genius at this stuff I guess.
Well my dad’s house is always 130+ volts and that puts the cap at 260 volts. Most caps can handle 5 to 10% over and be ok for a little time but not forever. If the cap pops and the windings melt, you will see lots of smoke (varnish on the windings melting along with the bamboo spacers in the middle of the windings) and you could see flames. Mostly smoke and stink.

So the fix? A cap rated at 370 or 480 VAC. Granger has them for 8.96 or allied has similar for 6 bucks. The cap that comes with the motor is a 16 uf (micro faried) 240vac. I bought a few 15 uf 370 volt caps and will be replacing them on all my pumps (2 Biod Pumps and 3 water pumps) Remember make sure that you get AC rated caps NOT DC. I did not express this the first time around (I knew it and assumed that everyone else would know...) but thanks to rydogg on another forum for pointing that out to everyone.

O the down side is that they need to be remote mounted since they will not fit in the box on the top of the motor. Ill try to get some pics soon for you guys.

I installed the grainger one last night and all was good. Waiting on the allied ones to show up and see if they are ok.
Motors > Motor Supplies > Capacitors > Run Capacitor,15 MFD,370 VAC : Grainger Industrial Supply
Cornell-Dubilier - 37FD3715-F - Allied Electronics

Here is the popped cap

Last edited by tubular031; 09-16-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 07:09 AM

MADE IN CHINA
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 AM

Normally I would agree with you BUT my wonderful GE start cap in my AC blew about 2 weeks ago. After pulling it apart and paying some monkey $175 to fix my AC (it was 99 that day) turned out to be a GE cap MADE IN CHINA! at freakin $16 part cost me $175 to fix because I did not know any better. So I started searching... look around on all the HVAC places, these GE caps made in china were poping like mad too. Can we find anything these days not made in china?!?!?! Man I hate that cheap crap! but what can we do

Last edited by tubular031; 07-02-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 AM

Cap pic posted

Last edited by tubular031; 07-03-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Northern Tool has a blue 1" water pump that looks just liek the HF one. It is rated at twice the delivery amount and cost 10 bucks more.
I ordered one 2 days ago to replace/backup my 2 year old pump.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 AM

I have seen the northern tool ones and they sure look like the same thing in the pictures. A buddy of mine has them on his processor and without popping them open, they look just like my HF ones. One of these days ill tare his apart and see what the insides look like.

For many that only have 110 to 120 volts on thie line you probably will not have to worry, but if there is a spike in the line volts you can and probably will pop a cap. If you read around on thses pumps lots of people talk about them frying. Thought I would share an experience of one frying. Ill take pics tonight
Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
If it is not made in China, it is made in Indonesia, Taiwan, or some country you can not pronounce or even think of spelling. Even the citizens of the country can't spell the name correctly.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
So the fix? A cap rated at 370 or 480 v. Granger has them for 8.96 or allied has similar for 6 bucks. The cap that comes with the motor is a 16 uf (micro faried) 240v. I bought a few 15 uf 370 volt caps and will be replacing them on all my pumps (2 Biod Pumps and 3 water pumps)

Cornell-Dubilier - 37FD3715-F - Allied Electronics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hheynow View Post
MADE IN CHINA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
Can we find anything these days not made in china?!?!?! Man I hate that cheap crap! but what can we do
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
If it is not made in China, it is made in Indonesia, Taiwan, or some country you can not pronounce or even think of spelling. Even the citizens of the country can't spell the name correctly.

Good news, I got my Caps in from allied today and they are not made in china! But they are not US made either.... they are hecho en mexico. o well...
Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 AM

I just got a 1" pump that is IDENTICAL to the northern tool and harbor freight pump. Found it new on ebay for $29 + $10 for shipping. Works great for pumping hot oil through my house water filter.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

myself and a buddy use the 1" HF pump for our biodiesel processor and weve killed 2 of them in a month. The first lasted a few weeks then just died, no pressure at all. The second one we wired up primed it and nothing at all....those pumps are garbage. Not to mention we cant find any of them to replace our broken crap. Kinda Pissed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.