svo blend - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 05:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
svo blend

what problems would i have if i ran 50/50mix of refined svo and diesel in my
94 model 7.3 tubro. just during the warmer months of the year.would i have to change any thing on my truck to do this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 08:25 AM

it would work fine...for a little while

long term not good idea. search and you will learn
Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I don't know nuttin....

A test pilot once said "it flew just fine untill it crashed".
It will work but from day one you will be doing harm to your motor and one day it will crash. And way before you motor is destroyed your pump will be destroyed.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
And way before you motor is destroyed your pump will be destroyed.
I've been running a blend for over two years and I still have the original stock fuel pump that came with the truck.

I may just be lucky in this regard, as I have read numerous posts about the stock pumps failing. I have had a spare pump behind my back seat for over a year now just waiting for the original to crap out.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
I've been running a blend for over two years and I still have the original stock fuel pump that came with the truck.

I may just be lucky in this regard, as I have read numerous posts about the stock pumps failing. I have had a spare pump behind my back seat for over a year now just waiting for the original to crap out.
Well keep that pump there behind your seat. In my OBS I would plug filters and would forget to leave a spare in my truck, and thats when it will plug on you.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post

I'm in the same boat as you, havn't been doing it as long as you, but I rack up miles pretty quick. So far, so good. There are alot of people that say its bad for your engine, but if you research enough, it all comes down to viscosity. Most diesel engine manufacturers specify a maximum fuel viscosity of 10 - 15 centistrokes. Which will be safe for your injectors, as well as your pump.

Everyone here knows that you can saftly & reliably run SVO in our trucks with a properly heated setup. The sole purpose of that setup is to heat the oil to lower its viscosity. If you can get your SVO to 160 degrees, you will have fuel in the 17 - 20 centistroke range, and if you can get it up to 175 degrees, then you drop below 10 centistrokes, making it as reliable as #2, with very similar injector & ring coking.

Now if the key to diesel reliablity using alternitive fuels is the viscosity, whats the differance between SVO brought down to the proper viscosity using heat, verses, SVO brought down to the proper viscosity using petroleum thinners? It makes sense to me, how about you?

I go through a 100 gallon batch every week:

80 gallons filtered / dried WVO - 15 gallons kero - 5 gallons RUG - 1 qrt. Power Service + cetane
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdcustoms View Post
Everyone here knows that you can saftly & reliably run SVO in our trucks with a properly heated setup. The sole purpose of that setup is to heat the oil to lower its viscosity. If you can get your SVO to 160 degrees, you will have fuel in the 17 - 20 centistroke range, and if you can get it up to 175 degrees, then you drop below 10 centistrokes, making it as reliable as #2, with very similar injector & ring coking.

Now if the key to diesel reliablity using alternitive fuels is the viscosity, whats the differance between SVO brought down to the proper viscosity using heat, verses, SVO brought down to the proper viscosity using petroleum thinners? It makes sense to me, how about you?

I go through a 100 gallon batch every week:

80 gallons filtered / dried WVO - 15 gallons kero - 5 gallons RUG - 1 qrt. Power Service + cetane
Negative ghost rider, this is only ONE key to heating the oil. The flashpoint is the more important key factor. Cold or room temp vegi oil has a much higher flashpoint so when you inject cold vegi - diluted with diesel or not - it will not burn properly, it will smole and carbon up. As we all know the fuel enters the engine heads in the fuel rails so once the engine is hot the fuel gets heated to well over 300* in the heads. The problem is the cold starts. The heads are not hot yet thus you are injecting cold fuel (vegi oil blended with whatever to lower viscosity) which is not burning completely.
Try this experiment...this is esentially the same reaction that will take place inside your engine:
take an old skillet, heat it on a burner to 700*f, take a teaspoon of cold vegi and pour it in the skillet. Now go open all the windows and air out the smoke you just created. Once all the smoke clears toss that skillet in the trash because it will be all black with carbon. The oil will smoke and carbon up before it finally ignites.
Now try the same thing again with hot vegi oil heated to 180*. When you pour this into the hot skillet you will get instant ignition without the smoke and carbon.
This is the single most overlooked point of heating the vegi oil before you can burn it in your motor.
The viscosity issue is very important as well but if your blend brings the viscosity down to an acceptable level you won't have to worry there.
You still have to heat that fuel before it gets to the combustion chamber!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw3 View Post
what problems would i have if i ran 50/50mix of refined svo and diesel in my
94 model 7.3 tubro. just during the warmer months of the year.would i have to change any thing on my truck to do this
What part of the country are you in? What is the evening temps right now? Blending is pretty much a warmer climate deal. I run the same mix as PDRcustoms and its really warm in San Diego. I've logged quite a few miles with no problems yet. If your'e in a cooler climate, you should listen to the Vegistroke guys. Once you cut the WVO with 20% thinners and then mix it with 50% diesel its pretty darn thin but could still cause problems if the temps get down below 40-45*.
Dave
Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Chenry, you make a good point that I have never thought of before, but wouldn't the kero & RUG lower the flashpoint of the oil considerably? I know that the flashpoint of diesel has probably been compared to the flashpoint of hot SVO, but has anyone done any research on the flashpoint of a WVO blend?

It seems like the viscosity issue is easy enough to figure out, but does anyone know of an accurate way to figure out the flashpoint of a liquid? Sounds like it's time to do more testing!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Just got done looking for the flashpoint of diesel & how to perform an accurate flash point test.

Just some intresting info for whoever cares:

RUG -40 degrees
diesel 143 degrees
jet fuel 100 degrees
kerosene 100 degrees
biodiesel 266 degrees

and get this canola oil 620 degrees, intresting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.