Fuel system for Veg. in an OBS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Cark
Fuel system for Veg. in an OBS

I'm looking to more or less build a custom veggie system for my 95 powerstroke. Looking right now into the fuel system aspect of it and replacing the stock mechanical pump. I've looked at the OBS systems from dieselstop and the others out there, but I don't know if they will be OK for running the Veggie. I know Rover has a FASS kit specifically for newer 7.3's running veggie, but I'm not sure if that could be made to work on an OBS. I know it would need modding and additional parts, I'm just wondering how many. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at a greasecar kit, and may still go with one, but even with that it sounds like I'd want to upgrade my pump... so yeah. This is where I'm at... thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 04:24 PM

ok, so I'm giving myself a bump and also replying to say that I'm leaning very heavily towards the SVO specific FASS setup for the newer 7.3's that rover sells. I'm just wondering what PSI I'm going to need for the OBS or if I can/should get the adjustable pump that FASS makes. I've got to also research the 6 port switching valves out there and figure out the best one to buy and how to plumb it for both diesel and SVO to the FASS. I'm doing a lot of learning and research here, so anything anyone else has to contribute I greatly appreciate!

Thanks,

~Cark
Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't know nuttin....

The vegistroke system is hands down better than the others.
Might research them a little.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 PM

I briefly peeked under the hood of an OBS that has the 1st gen Vegistroke kit. The two stock tanks and the stock fuel pump & bowl are still intact for diesel. It has an aux fuel tank in the bed with the FASS pump and pressure regulator mounted on the frame rail PLUS a check valve under the hood. That's all I know.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

I love my vegistroke but I think its way overengineered and over priced for the OBS unless you are looking to upgrade your stock fuel system and get rid of the mechanical fuel pump.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Thanks CHenry... I was kind of waiting for this from you. I appreciate your input, but I've been reading these boards for months and every time this is about all you have to say. I've been researching veggie systems for over a year, and just finally picked up my first diesel. I've looked at the veggiestroke system, but it seems as though it's primarily designed to work with the newer 7.3's and the 6.0's. To boot, the price is close to $4000 for the OBS system, and that quite frankly is absurd. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for, but I'm also a firm believer that you can usually build it better (and cheaper) yourself. Even if I were to spend the $4k on a veggiestroke, my biggest stipulation with a WVO system, bought or built, is onboard filtration. I've learned alot about filtration and some great techniques, but I live in an apartment and don't think the landlord would be too excited about a WVO filtration setup on the premises (nor would the neighbors).

So, to reclarify, I've more or less already figured out my tank configuration and my heating and onboard filtering, the issue I have right now is finding he best way to get the WVO (as well as the diesel fuel) to the engine. The truck is running 160cc injectors, so a pump upgrade would be good even if I were not converting to SVO. Now what I am looking at not only the best electric pump upgrade, but the best for the diesel AND the veg.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 12:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
I can help you out. I'm doing one for my dad's 95. Same basic concept as the other commercial systems, including the quick purge. Only alot cheaper. It sounds like you're planning to use the same pump for veg and diesel, I would not recommend this. Spend the money on a fass 95, and run veg through it. Leave your stock system alone since you may need it to get home one day when a filter plugs.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBLUE View Post
I love my vegistroke but I think its way overengineered and over priced for the OBS unless you are looking to upgrade your stock fuel system and get rid of the mechanical fuel pump.
I am (WAS, thanks justin) looking to replace the mech. fuel pump, but for $4000 that still seems a bit wild. The FASS WVO system on the rover site for the newer 7.3's is about $675, which I am more than willing to spend and adapt to my kit, more or less just wondering if anyone has done it and if it is recommended or not.

I honestly wish the veggiestroke site listed more info on the OBS systems.

Last edited by Cark; 06-23-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: new insight
Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinlw View Post
I can help you out. I'm doing one for my dad's 95. Same basic concept as the other commercial systems, including the quick purge. Only alot cheaper. It sounds like you're planning to use the same pump for veg and diesel, I would not recommend this. Spend the money on a fass 95, and run veg through it. Leave your stock system alone since you may need it to get home one day when a filter plugs.
I'm curious what you're planning for your setup... definitely let me know and maybe we can exchange PM's or emails or whatever. Good to know on the two pump system, wasn't sure if this was a good idea or not.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
Thanks CHenry... I was kind of waiting for this from you. I appreciate your input, but I've been reading these boards for months and every time this is about all you have to say. I've been researching veggie systems for over a year, and just finally picked up my first diesel. I've looked at the veggiestroke system, but it seems as though it's primarily designed to work with the newer 7.3's and the 6.0's. To boot, the price is close to $4000 for the OBS system, and that quite frankly is absurd. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for, but I'm also a firm believer that you can usually build it better (and cheaper) yourself.
I wasn't pushing a sale for Vegistroke, you plainly stated you were going to build it yourself, i simply said you may want to research the vegistroke setup and design your system based on this.
What more would you like me to say when someone poses this kind of question? Should i actually tell you a bunch of crap and send you over to GFs?
I tell it like i see it and i have used the vegistroke for over 2 years - not a huge milestone but not too bad - and it does not stack up against any other system out there.
Is it over engineered? Maybe but its been designed so you can drive from SOCAL to Alaska in Jan. without issues. The other kits (some of them that is) won't provide enough heat for driving up north and this will destroy your engine. I would rather over engineer my stuff that under engineer it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.