Advice on first batch of waste motor oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on first batch of waste motor oil

After reading through different forums on wmo, I decided to go this direction. My plan is to run 25% wmo in my 4bt cummins diesel in my 35 ford pickup rat rod. My injector guy says no problem at 25% on the older cummins. What about 25% in my 03 excursion 7.3 power stroke? This is my filter process. I put 5 gallons of wmo mixed with 5% gasoline in a 5 gallon bucket filtered through a blue surgical cloth rag with a spout about 2 inches from bottom. I let it settle for 24 hours plus. Then filtered through another blue rag into another 5 gallon bucket with outlet 2 inches from bottom. I then pump it with a hand barrel pump through a culligan 25 micron house water filter and then through a 5 micron filter. My concerns; it is still pretty dark and will it stay suspended with the diesel. I did do a 25% mix and put it in a clear jar. I won't know till morning but it does seem to look consistent. This is new to me so what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pics of the rat rod.
Pics of the rat rod
Pics of the rat rod

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

FYI, at the steelmill i work at we run a 70/30 mix of diesel/transformer oil in our 6bt gensets. When we do an oil change. It holds 10,000 gallons. I almost got to take it all home until someone spilled the beans on what I was going to do with it.
That mother ...... lol

Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is the rat
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on first batch of waste motor oil-35rat-small.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Sweet. What kind of MPGs you get in that thing. Did you find an old bread truck with the TH400 trans with it.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It came out of a Frito lay chip truck. It has the gm465 4speed trans with the granny gear. I put 2.28 gears in so now I'm getting 30 plus going 70-75mph. I want to slow down to 60 and see how many mpg I can get.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I was sooo hoping to find one of them Frito lay trucks. I was going to do a Jeep Cherokee or 4door S10 blazer but my wife's car was going down hill sooner than later so I got her the Liberty CRD. Great little Jeep BTW.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

a guy i bought an axle from, 2 weeks ago, bombs around in the desert/rocks, with this...one of them 3.2 cummins, i think, that he installed....its a Scout.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on first batch of waste motor oil-cummins-scout.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike70gtx View Post
After reading through different forums on wmo, I decided to go this direction. My plan is to run 25% wmo in my 4bt cummins diesel in my 35 ford pickup rat rod. My injector guy says no problem at 25% on the older cummins. What about 25% in my 03 excursion 7.3 power stroke? This is my filter process. I put 5 gallons of wmo mixed with 5% gasoline in a 5 gallon bucket filtered through a blue surgical cloth rag with a spout about 2 inches from bottom. I let it settle for 24 hours plus. Then filtered through another blue rag into another 5 gallon bucket with outlet 2 inches from bottom. I then pump it with a hand barrel pump through a culligan 25 micron house water filter and then through a 5 micron filter. My concerns; it is still pretty dark and will it stay suspended with the diesel. I did do a 25% mix and put it in a clear jar. I won't know till morning but it does seem to look consistent. This is new to me so what are your thoughts?
I would like to offer some advice on the use of WMO in a powerstroke, since you asked. Its pretty straight forward..

Dont do it.

filters arent good enough. Buy an American made gravity fed CF if you intend to run WMO. Then, put it in a waste oil burner and heat the shop with it. Use the money you save on heating and buy quality B100 or D2.
Thats my advice.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
I would like to offer some advice on the use of WMO in a powerstroke, since you asked. Its pretty straight forward..

Dont do it.

filters arent good enough. Buy an American made gravity fed CF if you intend to run WMO. Then, put it in a waste oil burner and heat the shop with it. Use the money you save on heating and buy quality B100 or D2.
Thats my advice.
Thanks for the advice, that's what I was wanting. I feel a little better running it on the older cummins, but hesitant on the 7.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.