Hydrogen Generators???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hydrogen Generators????

Is anybody watching what the gas guys are doing? They are building Hydrogen generators and producing HHO from water, a flammable gas and feeding it into the intake of their cars. The computer sees the incoming gas and leans out the fuel mixture, resulting in more MPG on the gas in the tank. One guy claims an increase form 28 to 44 MPG on his Acura. Are we going to be left behind by this guys? I haven't found anything like this for us Diesel owners.
One thought I had was couldn't we feed this HHO to a Propane injection type system to give us more MPG on our Diesels?

Let me know what your thoughts are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
check out this link, it is a 2008 F-450 hydrogen diesel hybrid. they claim 45 MPG.....

F-450 hybrid
Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 PM

It works on diesels as well and some say that it is an easier set up for a diesel engine over gas. It's not the ecm leaning out the mixture that gives the added mpg though. Leaning out the mix is a bad thing! Most of the real systems (ones not just trying to make a fast buck) utilize a resistor device to fool the ECM's reading of the O2 sensor so it does not lean out the mixture. The addition of the hydrogen to the intake increases the efficiency of the combustion thus creating more power and less fuel used to go the same speed. The science is not new it has been around a very long time, but the gas prices have everyone searching for an answer. Most people only see small gains of 4 or 5 mpg although some are claiming up to 200% gains with the fuel prices like they are and the econmy spining around and around 4 or 5 mpg is worth the effort. I have built a generator, but I have not finished the install. Kind of like the waterline for the cattle, the siding on the house, the wiring in the shop, moving the dog pen, the tree that fell in the yard 2 weeks ago, and all the other garbage that my wife wants me to do in the house. I will get around to it one day...... Maybe
Old 06-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds intresting, I'll have to watch this one.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 AM

I've been researching this quite a bit myself and one of my buddies at work is building his right now for his tahoe. The only problem I see is "fooling" your 02 sensors... what happens if you run out of water in your HHO system and are only running on regular unleaded.... what happens to the motor now?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 AM

It will run too rich for a few miles untill you can put another 10 cents worth of distilled water. Not too big a deal if you don't run it too long. Some people have a simple switch that can cut off the o2 fooler when not needed.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 AM

I have read alot about the HHO systems and have on on my company car, 2000 Mecury Grand Mar. Don't waste your money on an O2 "fooler" just take aluminum foil and fold it about 4 times and wrap around the O2 sensors and tie it on with cooper wire (the electrical wire kind). Yo uhave to do all of the sensors that way. My Mercury has 4 of them. Its what is found on the Internet as the 50cent fix. Now I am going ot have to work on the MAP sensor. If you don't do anything to the O2 sensor and the MAP sensors the cars ECM sees the motor running more efficeiently and and the O2 sensor says there isn't any fuel in the exhaust so it compensates by dumping more fuel in. So you have to "fix" the O2 sensors first. I am still fine tuning mine.

First try. car gets 20 MPG stock. Added HHO generator and car jumped to 23.5 MPG (on the lie o Meter) then within 10 miles she dropped right back to stock of 20 MPG.

Second try. Wrapped O2 sensors and refilled the HHO generator and have ran in and now I am averaging 25.5 MPG. I think there is a little more MPG that I can get with manipulating the MAP sensor.

Third Try. Haven't gotten there yet!!!

By the way, guy mention what happens when you run out. With the O@ sensors wrapped it will lean the car out and cause it to ping real bad so don't run out. I keep a gallon jug in the trunk.

Anyone else got any ideas this is a work in progress looking for all the info I can get.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F550Haulin View Post
I have read alot about the HHO systems and have on on my company car, 2000 Mecury Grand Mar. Don't waste your money on an O2 "fooler" just take aluminum foil and fold it about 4 times and wrap around the O2 sensors and tie it on with cooper wire (the electrical wire kind). Yo uhave to do all of the sensors that way. My Mercury has 4 of them. Its what is found on the Internet as the 50cent fix. Now I am going ot have to work on the MAP sensor. If you don't do anything to the O2 sensor and the MAP sensors the cars ECM sees the motor running more efficeiently and and the O2 sensor says there isn't any fuel in the exhaust so it compensates by dumping more fuel in. So you have to "fix" the O2 sensors first. I am still fine tuning mine.

First try. car gets 20 MPG stock. Added HHO generator and car jumped to 23.5 MPG (on the lie o Meter) then within 10 miles she dropped right back to stock of 20 MPG.

Second try. Wrapped O2 sensors and refilled the HHO generator and have ran in and now I am averaging 25.5 MPG. I think there is a little more MPG that I can get with manipulating the MAP sensor.

Third Try. Haven't gotten there yet!!!

By the way, guy mention what happens when you run out. With the O@ sensors wrapped it will lean the car out and cause it to ping real bad so don't run out. I keep a gallon jug in the trunk.

Anyone else got any ideas this is a work in progress looking for all the info I can get.
I have a system on a '94 IDI turbo and it works great, my generator is a piece of crap too. I am in the process of building a new generator now. I have a thread going "Hydrogen supplement", watch this thread and I will post results and pictures. This concept is really easy on the diesels that have an injection pump, no sensors to worry about!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:48 PM

Diesels dont have O2 sensors unless they are the new trucks with Particle filters on them like the 6.4 ford. I heard you can lean out the Map sensor but Im not 100& sure yet.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressed11 View Post
Is anybody watching what the gas guys are doing? They are building Hydrogen generators and producing HHO from water, a flammable gas and feeding it into the intake of their cars. The computer sees the incoming gas and leans out the fuel mixture, resulting in more MPG on the gas in the tank. One guy claims an increase form 28 to 44 MPG on his Acura. Are we going to be left behind by this guys? I haven't found anything like this for us Diesel owners.
One thought I had was couldn't we feed this HHO to a Propane injection type system to give us more MPG on our Diesels?

Let me know what your thoughts are?
I have built and installed one on a 97 powerstroke. It went from 8mpg to 24mpg. The problem is getting the ecm and map sensor to allow for what it sees as a lean mixture. And I'am working on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.